Actuator question.

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by Bluebeat, Nov 26, 2019.

1. OP
    OP
    Bluebeat

Bluebeat Junior Member

JoeRagMan I missed your post. Thanks! I called the company you suggested. They call this design "tubular". The ones that they carry in this design are weak.

Can somebody please tell me, what "force" in actuator I should look for? If I am going to brew something similar, with a single actuator setup.
    Setup: Yama Grizzly 700 with 50" Moose country blade.

Thank you.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

3. OP
    OP
    Bluebeat

Bluebeat Junior Member

dieselss, there are hundreds of linear actuators... The one you showed is not single tube design, way long and expensive. I seen many between $75-$150.

If I go DIY on this, it will be a different setup with common shape actuators, the ones I can replace easily if they go south. I would appreciate if somebody could give me the pound "force" of actuator I would need for power turn.

Thanks.

4. dieselss

Why dont you email the company?
    Since that seems like the only pple you will listen to.

Yes, you said you needed it 14" correct? So the one I posted was a tad over 14"...that's not right?

5. OP
    OP
    Bluebeat

Bluebeat Junior Member

dieselss, you posted a link with 17.99" Stroke, different configuration actuator and way too expensive

It seems that you are "trying" to help, but honestly, it is not info I am looking for. I posted on this forum to get info from people who are familiar with my type of actuator or diy replacement. Not general info.

P.S. People "in the company" would not know what I need, as only tiny percentage of actuators is used for ATV plow setups. Only folks who use them/ built ATV setups would.

6. dieselss

Sometimes the answer is no,
    Have you wondered why in all your searches you haven't found that actuator yet?
    The ones I have shown have a bigger rod, and come in various lengths, with various pound ratings, .i have used actuators from my old job on multiple trucks so i have been around them for some time,

7. OP
    OP
    Bluebeat

Bluebeat Junior Member

Can you answer what "force" is suitable for ATV plow turn, considering I will be using a single actuator?

8. dieselss

The force required would be 1lb over the force required to move the plow unloaded, so what's the force?

at this point I dont care, you have plenty of options that your saying arent "good" enough.

9. sublime68charge

sublime68charge PlowSite.com Addict

from my memory when I blew out the first one and I sent it back to the company for a refurbish on it. the holding force was 1,200 pounds of force. its not the power to turn the blade thats the problem its the holding force needed to keep the blade put when plowing.

the amount of force needed to hold things in place when a say your windrowing back a bank and only using 1/2 of the blade the amount of force your ATV can put upon the actuator either trying to push it in or pulling it out.

once again thats from memory and that has been over 10 years back.

I blew out mine and sent in it to fix and they told me the actuator would push out fine and hold but would not pull in. So I bought the 2nd and added to the other side and got 4 hard years of plowing snow out of them before they blew out again.

I also ran this on a 60" moose plow.

dieselss likes this.
  10. sublime68charge

I know when I first got it I broke the bolt at the end of the actuator 3 times then went to a grade 5 bolt and still broke every 3rd plowing event that went to a grade 8 and then caught a curb with trailing edge and pulled the actuator apart. was only going 5mp but the edge of the 60" plow caught and apart it came.

best of luck and if you find a actuator that works well for this year please post up what type and brand.

I have a 2nd atv in town and plow with a 50" County blade.
    A honda rancher and am now going to due 4 driveway's this season after only having to due 1 and a sidewalk last 2 years with that setup.

11. sublime68charge

was thinking of getting a Warn Winch and doing a setup kinda like this

can get used warn winch for $200 and then just the time to fab it up.

12. OP
    OP
    Bluebeat

Bluebeat Junior Member

Sublime,
    Thank you!!
    I broke about 5 bolts myself :) I plow crazy hill and about 400 feet of steep shared road with large rocks on the side.
    I will do more research. From what you mentioned, to be on the safe side I probably need 1500-2000 pound force actuator. My understanding that the material from which shaft is made also plays a big role.

P.S. I seen winch angle setups, looks interesting, but I think I will go with actuator setup. There is also an interesting kit on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/293051289304
    No longer manufactured, but replacement motors are available. Too bad it is not a direct fit to Moose tubes.

13. sublime68charge

Bluebeat I remember seeing those eagle turn kits when I was running the setup I had and thinking that might be something I would want to try.

for the price I might just give them a try It looks like it would bolt up to a moose plow as they look the same as eagle from the turntable to the blade its just the eagle push tube's widen out where the moose go back parallel to each other on the way back to the belly mount plate.

though I need some snow to make some Money to purchase the turn kit.

best of luck on your search. I also ran a down pressure system made by Mibiar no longer around and this year my actuator for that got stuck in the extended position. contacted Warner Linear which now links to
    https://www.thomsonlinear.com/en/products/linear-actuators/warner-linear

might email them or look at there site you might find something that you can make work there as well.

emailed them about what I had and they could send me a new one for $700 to replace my faulty one. I took my faulty one apart grease the Acme Screw inside of the rod and it works fine as long as I don't leave it sit in the fully extended position then it wont retract. so when I run it out all the way and it clicks at the end limit I bump the switch back for half a second and it all works fine.

time will tell if that holds up for me or not but I have ran that for 15 years and its been used and abused and never gave me problems till this summer when I was using the ATV as Minni bulldozer for pushing dirt back to fill a trench. I have a old backup 48" blade that's my dirt work blade so I don't bend my nice 60" snow blade. the 48" blade has been threw alot over the years. Works great at brush removal set blade at 2" -4" above ground and push it threw the brush where you want a trail to go have rode it up the brush till front tires have come off ground back up and push it again.