Snow Plowing Forum banner

99 K3500, what is it worth?

3K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  70monte 
#1 ·
A local used lot has a 99 GMC K3500 for sale. It's a reg cab long bed single rear wheel with a 454/auto. Has 61,000 original miles and supposedly a one owner. I have not gotten a chance to look at it yet since it has been at an exhaust shop getting an exhaust manifold gasket replaced. I guess they broke a bolt off and had to drill it out so it's been at the shop for a few days.

From the pictures, it looks very clean and rust free and the interior looks very nice. It's the LS version and looks to be pretty loaded on options. The dealer is asking $8,995 which I think is pretty high for a 14 year old truck even with low mileage. Edmunds, KBB, and NADA all range from $5,089-8,620 which is a pretty large span. What do you guys think is a reasonable price from a dealer for this truck? Thanks.

Wayne

#3 ·
You are always gonna pay thousands more from a dealer. Id say its worth 7kish if its in real good condition.

#7 ·
Truck is still at the exhaust shop waiting for parts. I guess they broke the tube that goes from the exhaust manifold to the EGR valve. Supposedly it was supposed to be done by the end of the day today so I'll stop by tomorrow to see if it's there.

I have a feeling they won't come off much on the price, especially after having to have this exhaust thing fixed. Who knows what that is going to cost.

Wayne

#8 ·
I actually got to look at the truck today and all I have to say is that I hope the dealer didn't pay too much for it because it has some major rust on the frame and underside but really none on the body. The inside of the lower door edges are gone but it doesn't show to the outside of the doors. The front part of the frame on the driver's side is starting to rust through.

A lot of metal parts in the engine compartment are rusty like the AC compressor bracket and power steering pump. This truck must have been used as a plow truck. Front tow hooks were broken off and it looks like something was welded to the frame where the hooks used to be at some point. I don't think there is a bolt on the underside of the truck that could have been taken off with a wrench or socket. The exhaust looked like a rusty mess and it didn't have the original muffler on it.

One of the big bolts for the power steering box was broken off. The auxillary fan that is usually in front of the AC condensor on the 7.4L trucks is missing. The interior was pretty nice and clean

The engine seemed to run good but had a slight knocking sound when you reved up the engine a little bit.

I think they are going to have a hard time selling this truck, especially at the price they are asking. It's really a shame because it has a lot of options for that year and is low mileage. Here is a link to the truck just so you can see how pictures can be deceiving.
http://springfield.craigslist.org/ctd/3695425349.html

Wayne

#10 ·
As much rust damage as I saw underneath, I wouldn't give much at all for the truck. Working on anything underneath would be a nightmare. I can see why the exhaust shop had the truck for so long. I bet they had to fight everything to get that manifold off. It had all new bolts in it so I imagine they broke more than a few off trying to remove it.

Wayne

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.