98 Chevy Plow Prep?

jdjoe_97

Hey guys, just curious what exactly do you get if you have plow prep on a truck. I have a 98 2500 HD 454 Silverado, and am looking at a boss v plow. Says I have to have plow prep on the truck. The truck is in the shop right now so I can't go out and look. If it dosn't have it what am I loosing? Thanks Joe

plowking35

2000 Club Member
Plow prep includes but is not limited to the following.
Locking rear differential
Heavy Duty front torsion bars
Additionial tranny and engine cooling
High output alternator
With that truck I would also look into installing front helper springs such as load boosters or monroe mussle.
Dino

John DiMartino

PlowSite.com Veteran
Gm's used to have a separate relay for the plow lights on the trucks with the VYU snow plow prep.VYU is the code in your glove box,that denoted the plow prep group.The turn signal swithc circuit on GM's is weak,so they use the relay to take the load off the switch,this only becomes a problem if you tow something while the plow is on,all the lights will overload the switch,and blow the fuse,or switch eventually.On a 2500/3500 it includes everything Dino mentioned,the relay,and the F60 HD front springs.On 1500 reg cab 8 ft box,it includes everything on the 2500/3500+ oil cooler,+ HD shocks.

OP
J

jdjoe_97

Thanks guys, well my truck already has all the extra coolers. Only thing I am a little concerned about is the heavy duty torsion bars. The GVW on my truck is 8600 the heaviest offered in 98 on a 3/4 ton. I haven't went out this morning to look for that VYU yet. I think even if it dosn't have it I will be ok. I does have a additional battery bay already there probably for the diesel option at the time. Thank Joe