Snow Plowing Forum banner

97 2500 won't start

1K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  ajchuck 
#1 ·
Hey here is the deal... Yesterday I drove out to a buddys farm and drove the property with him, up and down hills through the woods ect. We get back to his house and bs for awhile and when we get ready to leave the truck won't start. I can't here the fuel pump truning on so I am sure that is it, but I am not sure the fuel pump is out. The truck runs fine all the time and now this.

Could there be somthing that would cause this, fuse bad wireing ect.

If I have to replace the fuel pump is it a nightmare?

Thanks Bossman

#2 ·
It is a good possibility that the fuel pump took a dump. Chevys are know for crapping pumps at random, with no warning. I have never done one before, but you do have to drop the tank (hopefully it is low or empty, they get REAL heavy) Get some new tank straps too as I am sure you will snap one and might as well put a fresh set on. The straps run like 30-50 bucks for both.

#3 ·
To diagnose the simple things first pertaining to the FP check the fuse in the under hood fuse boxed marked "ECM B" Will be a 20 amp fuse. Use a test light to be sure you have power BOTH in and out of the fuse. If that all checks out then you likely have a dead fuel pump. You can try the old trick of smacking the bottom of the fuel tank with a rubber mallet or block of wood to "wake up" the pump one last time in order to get the truck home. Works in many cases. :nod:

There is also a FP relay in the under-hood box, but the FP will still run with a defective relay.

FP replacement is easiest if you pull the bed off rather than dropping the tank, more so if has a fair amount of gas in it.

#6 ·
Based on experience, I agree it is easier to remove

the bed of the truck, rather than drop the tank.

#7 ·
siphon out the gas... the job sux but will only take you 2 to 3 hours... Ive also had the plastic tray come * un riveted and sloshing around in the tank and knock the pump off... so check that while your in there...

#8 ·
B&B;592353 said:
To diagnose the simple things first pertaining to the FP check the fuse in the under hood fuse boxed marked "ECM B" Will be a 20 amp fuse. Use a test light to be sure you have power BOTH in and out of the fuse. If that all checks out then you likely have a dead fuel pump. You can try the old trick of smacking the bottom of the fuel tank with a rubber mallet or block of wood to "wake up" the pump one last time in order to get the truck home. Works in many cases. :nod:

There is also a FP relay in the under-hood box, but the FP will still run with a defective relay.

FP replacement is easiest if you pull the bed off rather than dropping the tank, more so if has a fair amount of gas in it.
Agreed 100% also, make sure you get a delco from the dealer, the ones from the parts places like advanced and autozone are only good for a year.... or so....
May cost you a little more for the pump, but its worth it to do it right once in 10 years and not every 13 months (yes, I learned the hard way).
Also, might want to see if the parts store has a sending unit, as after 11 years, that is probably rusted to the point of being lucky if you get it unhooked from the lines w/o killing it. $110 or so at any autozone and you can return it if you dont need it....
Tom

#9 ·
I replaced the fuel pump on my 98 K1500 years ago because I thought the pump was going out because of the noises it was making. I dropped the tank because I ran most of the gas out and I was able to do the job by myself. I just used my big floor jack and undid the straps and then lowered it enough to unhook the lines and filler tube and then lowered it down to the ground. I did use an AC-Delco replacement pump.

I have read that some people unhook the bed and slide it back just enough to uncover the top of the tank. Others take the bed completely off. One truck I looked at one time for sale had a trap door made out of the bed floor metal over the top of the pump. It was kind of neat.

Wayne

#11 ·
brad96z28;607351 said:
If the tank Is at half or less It takes me about 15 min to get the tank out. I would not even think about taking a bed off.
Thats about all it takes me to pull the bed. Leaves no rusty straps to deal with/break/replace. I never drop the tank unless I'm actually replacing the tank itself. :nod:

#13 ·
brad96z28;607626 said:
U can remove a bed alone? If u have rusty straps that are bad enough to break I would not leave them there Id want to replace them. The clip the the bolt goes into breaks then thats a whole nother story.
Right, when those threaded clips twist off and spin in the crossmember it adds a whole new fun factor to the repair doesn't it?...If you pull the bed instead you don't have to touch any of those rusty clips or bolts at all. Saves the customers money...

And yes I pull beds all the time by myself. I'm a resourceful person. ;)

#14 ·
U are resourceful for sure ,but Im not sure if the guy asking how hard it is to change a fuel pump is? But I also use a lift and a tranny jack not stuff the average joe is gona have. Pulling the tank on the gound with a floor jack Unless near empty might b a bit tipsy.So definitly up to the person and his resources.

#15 ·
brad96z28;607675 said:
U are resourceful for sure ,but Im not sure if the guy asking how hard it is to change a fuel pump is? But I also use a lift and a tranny jack not stuff the average joe is gona have. Pulling the tank on the gound with a floor jack Unless near empty might b a bit tipsy.So definitly up to the person and his resources.
Even in this case a DIY'er would likely have an easier time finding a few buddies to assist with the bed lift rather than trying borrow a trans jack and/or a hoist.

I've changed the in tank pumps along the road on these trucks on several occasions...less than an hour if you pull the bed. As long as it isn't loaded of course. :D

#16 ·
brad96z28;607675 said:
That lift could be your best friend if used right. Last time I did mine, I used a buddies lift to pick the bed up. Makes it alot easier when you can go straight up with it so its out of the way and straight back down. Also, when you take the bolts out of the bed. Remember to anti-sieze them. Makes life easier if you have to pull it again for some reason.

However, 2 people can lift the bed. I'm a feather weight and I can carry one side of mine.

#17 ·
Dropping the tank VS pulling the bed is mostly preference and many guys disagree on which is faster/easier. When we did the pump on my brothers dodge we pulled the bed and it wasnt bad at all. The 2 of us lifted it off no problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.