Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been hearing a banging noise now and then in 2wd going down the road. Noticed selector stick is a bit stiff. Today it won't go into 4 low but will go into 4 hi so I'm getting by. Maybe transfer case isn't kicking in? Ideas?

· Registered
5,633 Posts
Been hearing a banging noise now and then in 2wd going down the road. Noticed selector stick is a bit stiff. Today it won't go into 4 low but will go into 4 hi so I'm getting by. Maybe transfer case isn't kicking in? Ideas?
You try shifting the column into neutral and/or turning truck off then shifting into 4lo?
(Guessing you have floor mount 2wd/4hi/4lo?)

· Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is a standard transmission. Been using this truck for about 15 years. When I shift to 4 low the front wheels don't engage. I sometimes get a banging sound in the transmission like something isn't quite catching. I have also noticed it in 2 wheel going down the road the noise comes and goes until it warms up. In 4 high it works fine all 4 wheels have power.

· Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
27 years of service! It's getting tired. Time to have the transfer case checked out. Time to think of a replacement? They, 27 year old trucks, don't last forever.
I was actually looking at much newer trucks last fall. I've been putting money aside for one for a couple years now. Really wanted to replace this thing even though I only plow my own very big driveway with it at this point. Then my dog got sick in the fall with Lymphoma and I've spent thousands in vet bills. I'm well aware the truck is tired. I'm just trying to limp through this winter with it. It goes to the garage on Monday. I told them if it's something simple, fix it. If it's involved, I will live with it the rest of the winter.

· Registered
14,949 Posts
Why is 4lo so important?

Reactions: GrassManKzoo

· Registered
14,949 Posts
This is a standard shift so it's not as easy as an automatic to go slow. I think that's what people are missing here.
Really, I've personally been plowing in my stick trucks for about 10 years. I have only used 4low about a small handful of times and they were all when I was moving piles.

· Registered
760 Posts
I'm curious as to what the problem was.
I was thinking this sounded like a linkage out of adjustment problem, but I did not say anything since I have not worked on any Chevy's in 20 or so years, and did not want to steer you in the wrong direction.

· Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm curious as to what the problem was.
I was thinking this sounded like a linkage out of adjustment problem, but I did not say anything since I have not worked on any Chevy's in 20 or so years, and did not want to steer you in the wrong direction.
It was a broken tranny mount. I'm surprised at all the BS responses busting my stones though. I really expected a little more help in here not people busting my stones.

· Registered
6,441 Posts
You can't get mad at anyone for not being able to figure out your "pop" that was apparently from the transmission, when you were talking 4wd. Transfer case and tranny have nothing to do with each other.

They were also questioning the purpose of 4 low because it's so rarely used, not to bust your balls or give you a hard time.

· Registered
17,435 Posts
I had a banging noise on my truck for a couple months, I looked at everything, so I thought. Even paid my garage to look it over and they couldnt find it.
Then one day I stepped on the tube step on the passenger side and it moved a little. The front bolt had backed out a little and the step moved in the adjustment slot. Such a simple fix but annoying. Literally hundreds of things it could've been. when you ask an online forum who aren't there with you. Best we can do is shout out possibilities...
I do some pretty big pushing with my truck, when I had gas I used 4lo a little, the diesel only saw it once and it was because I mistook it for the heater fan switch...
Good for you 27 year old truck, I say go for 30 for the bragging rights.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.