Snow Plowing Forum banner

88 6.2 fuel pump in fuel thank

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  bob00 
#1 ·
hi ther is my trouble a got a new used rust buket with a 6.2 disel that wont start it got fuel in the tank but no fuel comming at the filtrer so my guest is bad pump in fuel thank

ther is any know fail that i might check frist ?:mechanic:

#2 ·
You're probably right in your thinking. First quick test I do is to thump the bottom of the fuell tank while trying to start the truck, obviously easier with a buddy to help you. A lot of times this will shock the pump into working, usually for a very short time. If this causes it to start and then quit again or stay running, safe assumption on the pump. Another thing to try, after turning the motor over, leave the key in the on position, often u can hear the wine of the pump for a second or two after. If you cant, could be another clue. A fuel pressure test is the best way, but requires the equipment to do so. Also, before you go too far, check your fuel pump relay or fuses, could be that simple. Good luck bud.

#4 ·
Good to hear, a lot of times it's just somethin silly like that. Just a word of advice, when you get to those brakelines, 9 times out of ten, it's much easier to run all new lines than to try and cut and splice.

#5 ·
BlizzardBeater;1077760 said:
Good to hear, a lot of times it's just somethin silly like that. Just a word of advice, when you get to those brakelines, 9 times out of ten, it's much easier to run all new lines than to try and cut and splice.
i wil its a 88 i got 2 month befor winter so i am not in rush its much easier and safer

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.