87 R10 Computer

Mule

Ok, ive got a 87 R10 with a 305, TBI and a coil-out-of-cap HEI. I suspect the computer is bad. I have put a new ignition system in except for the coil. I know the engine is mechanicaly sound. I put a mechanical distributor in, disconected the computer and it ran fine. I another odd thing, when i hooked up a jumper wire to see if the computer would give me a code 12, a clicking noise came from the TBI unit. Please Help!!!!!!

OP
M

Mule

Eureka!

First rule of working on anything! Never assume anything! As i might have mentioned, i replaced all the ignition EXCEPT for the coil. On my way to the junkyard, i stoped in at a local garage and did some BS'in in the mechanic. They wanted 45 bucks for a puter at a salvage yard. I was about to smash the old one, convinced that it had to be a computer related problem when i listened to myself explain my situation. Ya know, that coil could be bad. Hmmmmmm. 15 bucks later and its a runner. All my buddies told me to do away with the TBI and just slap a good old fashioned carb on there. Call me stuborn but i wanted to keep it stock. My buds claim i wouldnt get that worse of MPG. Any thoughts?