Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to know if there is any way to get my 8 foot minute mount 1 with the insta act pump on it to lift higher. I have a lot of issues with trying to get over a pile and back drag it because it just ends up pushing most of it forward again.

Now, before anybody tells me it has been covered, I DID search several times. I have read people tried moving the mounting point on the headgear to the top hole in the a frame, but that would make it out of parallel with the ground. SO that's not right. I thought about shortening the lift stops, but then I would have to shorten the chain and in the end lose my float range.

Has anybody come up with anything other than just lifting the front end of my truck? I do plan on installing Timbrens and possibly a leveling kit, which will help for sure. I want to know if there is any modifications to the plow that have been successful.

Also, (may or may not be related) but is it normal for the headgear to lean slightly forward with the plow raised? Ever so slightly off of vertical away from the truck. I will get a picture of it if anybody needs to see.

· Registered
6,774 Posts
Pictures would help. What kind of vehicle are we talking about? Stock wheels and tires?

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's an 04 dodge ram 2500 with stock size tires and wheels yes. Can't remember the specific sizes at the moment without going out to see. Next time I am around my truck I will take some pictures.

· Registered
6,109 Posts
Height issue could be a multitude of things.

Picture of your setup?

Slanted headgear...no, that's not right. Cracked push plate(s), bent frame, cracked frame, cracked or bent headgear...dog deeper.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I say that the headgear leans, It also will straighten up, for example, if I ride up a snow pile. I assumed this was meant to be that way. Gives the headgear room to "rock" to mount and dismount the plow as well.

· Registered
6,109 Posts
When I say that the headgear leans, It also will straighten up, for example, if I ride up a snow pile. I assumed this was meant to be that way. Gives the headgear room to "rock" to mount and dismount the plow as well.
No, that's not normal. Egged out mounting holes, worn pins most likely. start there. check headgear, frame and push plates afterwards.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes I have the plow chain adjusted correctly for it to hit the stops JUST before full extension of the lift cylinder.

Brings me back to what others have mentioned Moving the a-frame to the upper holes. I would then have to shorten the chain so it hits the stops, but I would lose my float ability.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes it is level which is why I see a problem with those who choose to move their a-frame to the top hole. It moves it out of level in my situation.

No, I do not have a back drag edge on it. I am looking for one.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've only had it a few months and it's my first plow. I have done hours and hours of research. You could bring up a good point that a prior poster brought up. I will take a closer look when I can.

· Registered
1,995 Posts
One way to help get behind a pile to backdrag is to fully angle the plow, which will raise one end higher than if it was straight. Then rather than try to grab a full blade to backdrag, do only half a blade starting with the side of the blade that is higher.

Depending on how much room you have, approach it from an angle a bit too to kind of sneak around the back side of the pile

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So I purchased another plow. It is an older mm1 that use the engine mounted pump. Much better condition than my other plow, so i swapped over the insta-act pump and hoses and lights. It all works great. I was able to record a video showing what I mean about some "slop" in the headgear. This headgear doesn't seem to lean forward like that other one did when the plow was raised.

Is the headgear supposed to be able to move like that?

· Registered
6,109 Posts
First and foremost....what in the hell are you listening to???

Second, yes, that is normal play...maybe slightly loose, but that's in good shape for what that is.

Third, the lift stroke seems to be correct, I would say that your height issue is truck originated, get some timbrens or air bags.

Fourth, and unrelated to the height issue, your pump/motor sounds a bit weak and raspy. I wouldn't be surprised if your PSI output is low and your pump is on the way out. Do some maintenance, it may be just a matter of needing a clean filter and fresh hydraulic fluid.

A pump driven MM1? Rare beast. So the headgear was the same as your previous setup? You didn't have to change your push plates? Is that the plow in the video, or your original one?

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1. The music is just whatever is on the radio when I turn it on. Don't really pat attention to it.
4. It has fresh fluid and clean filter. I did all that when I first got the plow.
I purchased a later model mm1 from a friend cheap and fixed it up. It's not that rare as mm1 is only in reference to the mounting method. They were available with pumps for a while. First engine driven then sehp then insta-act at the end before mm2.

Nothing different about the push plates. I took the motor setup off my original and bolted it to this blade and headgear. Easier since everything was in much better shape.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.