1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

7.3 super duty no start info

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Bback54, Apr 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bback54

Bback54 Junior Member

Hi everyone, found something interesting and thought I'd share. On my 7.3 2001 f350. I had starting issues late winter / early spring. Thought maybe she was due for new glow plugs. So I parked her and drive my suburban. Today it was 50°F and I fired it up... Or tried to. She had a hard time and a terrible miss. I threw a glow plug relay at it and found another relay right next to it and couldn't find any info on it what so ever. It is called an IAH OR IMF relay. intake air heater, intake manifold heater relay. Naps had one for $89. It was very brittle and old. So I tried that along with the glow plug relay. But when i got to the glow plug relay. I put a wrench to it and it fell the f apart. I highly recommend replacing both if you have starting issues and possibly doing it every 5 years. The terminals broke out of the relay and I had to grind the bolts off. Easy repair if you don't wait 20 years like I did. She starts like a college freshman with three drinks in her now. And I was about to throw glow plugs at it to the tune of $80 each and the non reusable valve cover gaskets at $75 each. I dropped $100 but saved $950 in parts alone. I hope this helps someone done day. Keep on keeping on and buy GM.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Funny, my grid heaters been unplugged for years, should I took it back up now?

80.$ for one glow plug.....c'mon man that's horse manure

Mark Oomkes likes this.
  3. dieselss

Your math is WAY off btw....

8 motorcraft gp from Amazon with free shipping comes to a whopping..............76.96.
    If you decided to upgrade to a h.d. solenoid like a brand called trombetta you'd be looking at approx 70.00 with free shipping again.
    So your story has holes in it as far as pricing which it appears you know nothing about.
    So for a 01 that's probably been neglected, your cost of 950. Is not that bad, but if you know what your talking about you could do the job for cheaper.
    Know more of what your talking about next time capt Ron.

Mark Oomkes likes this.
  4. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite Veteran

I got a bunch of new ones here I'll sell for discounts at $74.95 each all day.

Bback54 likes this.
  5. Bback54

Bback54 Junior Member

You're right I gave the price for injectors not glow plugs. My bad. No need to get upset. And if you live in Indiana you probably don't need the intake heater. But when you're in Minnesota or Canada I'm willing to bet a few fellows disagree with you. I get my parts discounted from the dealer or rockauto.com. if you buy off eBay or Amazon you're a moron. I'm fine with you trying to help other readers out by correcting the mistake I made after a few whiskey cokes, that's one thing but if you want a crank measuring competition because you found something I made a mistake like prices on that isn't even pertinent to the message, jog on.

6. dieselss

Intake heater ........funny how you think you needed that.
    Your 'prices' are way off and I was pointing that out. You can crank off as well

7. Randall Ave

I buy about 15,000 in parts a month. so I guess I don't no what I'm doing. I do not get half his post.

Mark Oomkes and dieselss like this.
  8. Bback54

Bback54 Junior Member

Randall, I was not talking to you. Sorry I could upset so many people by trying to help a few. But being you're both so interested in the topic, feel free to post as much as you'd like in regards to the heater relays and controllers. Maybe somebody can find this thread useful when they have issues. That's really the whole point. But feel free to use me as a kicking bag in the mean time.

9. dieselss

Since you haven't answered, I'm ask again.

Should I hook up my grid heater again?

Philbilly2 likes this.
  10. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Hang on fellas, lemme grab my popcorn.

11. Randall Ave

If I kick someone, I'm direct and they know it. Now if you want to make a post to help people who are not fully versed in a particular repair. Make sure your information is correct, otherwise your sending someone who doesn't know much down the wrong path.

12. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

I want to know where he found injectors for $80 each.

Mark Oomkes likes this.
  13. Randall Ave

Don't look under your bench

14. Michael J. Donovan

Michael J. Donovan Head Moderator, Online Communities Staff Member

time to move on guys

thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.