1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

6.0L questions

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by kah68, Jan 18, 2016.

1. ratherbfishin

ratherbfishin Senior Member

LOL...I feel your pain. My 2013 Chevy 1 ton has two tanks totaling 60+ Gal.
    It was over 2 beans to fill it at one point!

FredG likes this.
  2. tom18287

tom18287 Member
    from Boston

6.0 plows great, and don't underestimate its towing capabilities. witht the 4.10 i'm totally impressed. not quite my ford 6.7 powerstroke dump, but pretty damn good. i know it will tow whatever i put behind it with relative ease.

3. vortec7622

vortec7622 Junior Member

My 2004 6.0 has no problems with anything I put behind it. And I definitely run out of traction before power when pushing.

4. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

my 2014 6.0 4.10 gears has been good. Pulls the big trailers good and plows with a vbox just fine. I miss the power band on my old ford 6.0 diesel but this truck has been fine for power.

5. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

get the locking 4.10 rear end that what im running

6. Clarkmac1985

Clarkmac1985 Member

Just to throw my 2 cent I here.... Id make sure it has the g80 option on it aswell. Not All the 2500''s and 3500''s come with it but makes a good difference in the snow

7. bootstrap

bootstrap Member

In terms of power, I tow a gooseneck trailer that's weighing as much as 14,000 lbs with my 6.0 w/4.10's and a four speed 4L80E transmission. I got out of a diesel with a little bit of hesitation because of the trailer weight. I ended up very surprised at how this 364ci gas motor did pulling. Sure it revs out on hills but it was designed to. But I only haul about 60 miles at most and have no issues maintaining highway speeds it just takes a little longer to get up to speed.
    6.0 is an amazing gas engine. GM's 6.0 2500HD is hands down the best gas HD platform out there.

8. kah68

kah68 Senior Member

Update;

Ended up with a 13' 2500 WT exteded cab long box, 3.73, G80, Plow prep, 5600lb front axle. We got about 6-8" of heavy wet snow and I'm impressed with how well this truck pushes. The new(er) trucks turn alot sharper too so the extra length hasn't been too bad.

9. White_Gold11

White_Gold11 Member

Good to hear. We have many chevy 6l easy to work on trucks that typically are easy on your pocketbook!

10. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

I think its a good engine

11. Arrowbrook 99

Arrowbrook 99 Member

I just got rid of my 2014 F350 lariat with a 6.7 for a 2016 GMC 2500 with a 6.0. I didn't do a lot of research but I'll say I couldn't find anyone say a bad thing about the 6.0 engine. I love this truck. You'll never need diesel to plow. Like everyone said you'll loose traction before power. I think this engine will run as long as a diesel before you have to sink about 6k in the diesel plus the 8-10k you spend extra for it. It's a great truck. But yes put some weight in it and yes the stock tires totally suck. I spent the money on BF goodrich. Worth the money. I got out of some tough spots with them.

12. FredG

FredG PlowSite Veteran

7 - 8 years back I remember paying $4.89 lol

13. FredG

FredG PlowSite Veteran

2 beans lol, Been awhile since I heard that one.

14. ratherbfishin

ratherbfishin Senior Member

Showing my age I guess!

15. crazyboy

crazyboy Senior Member
    from NJ

My 02 6.0 is great, doesn't complain about anything thrown at it and never seems low on power. Have been pushing thinking theres not much snow on the blade because it is barely working, until you push it up the pile and its full.

16. Arrowbrook 99

Arrowbrook 99 Member

Isn't the 4:10 standard now? And also the electronic locking rear?

17. Arrowbrook 99

Arrowbrook 99 Member

How many mike do you have on your 02?

18. Arrowbrook 99

Arrowbrook 99 Member

How many miles do you have?

19. crazyboy

crazyboy Senior Member
    from NJ

20. Arrowbrook 99

Arrowbrook 99 Member

How long have you been towing that much weight? I agree with you about the engine. How do you think the transmission will hold up?