56 Acre new construction need some help.

Hey guys, love this forum, I have been in the business my whole life. I started at 15 and I am now 32, so snow is in my blood(first generation. Needless to say, I am coming out of a season of my old partner robbing me for 750K. We were pretty large he handled the paperwork, I handled the infield.

I can bid the smaller lots with ease but I am having a hard time on my first large commercial property. It is 56 Acres of plowable lot. They requested a zero tolerance on ice control and a 1inch trigger on push. Seems to be a pretty busy trucking visuality.

We are responsible for the small walk up to the warehouse and the metal stair entrances around the building.

Seasonal is a option as well potentially.

Thanks guys!!

Attachments

• CIVIL-PLANS.pdf
    2.6 MB · Views: 72

BossPlow2010

PlowSite Fanatic
Welcome back to the site.
What’s the question? I’ve got zero experience bidding a 56 acre property, but if it’s a shipping terminal, they’re probably going to want the kingpins cleared.

m_ice

PlowSite Veteran
How much cleaning between the trailers do they require?

Also, do all the egress doors have to be cleared?
Those steel grated steps are a pain to shovel. About the only way to do them is a backpack blower.

OP
K
2 loaders with wing plows
1 or 2 skids to clean up and do tight spots
Large salt truck

Put them on a seasonal with caps

Should be golden
Seems a little excessive I think, 2 loaders? Ive done a lot more with a lot less equipment no offense. I am looking for the seasonal price but keep second guessing it. Chicago Winter has been a challenge to bid seasonal for me after last year. Do you have a number in mind? I will consider the number being with the larger equipment needed.

WIPensFan

PlowSite Veteran
Pretty big place. I’m interested to see how others would bid it. Never did anything close to that size, nor would I have wanted to. You’re gonna need a couple of barges of salt for that place over a season. Sorry to hear about your partner stealing from you. Experienced that too, although not nearly that much money.
Good luck!

OP
K
Pretty big place. I’m interested to see how others would bid it. Never did anything close to that size, nor would I have wanted to. You’re gonna need a couple of barges of salt for that place over a season. Sorry to hear about your partner stealing from you. Experienced that too, although not nearly that much money.
Good luck!
Thank you sir!! I came back a lot wiser out of the situation, just have to financially pull off this winter.

OP
K
Seems a little excessive I think, 2 loaders? Ive done a lot more with a lot less equipment no offense. I am looking for the seasonal price but keep second guessing it. Chicago Winter has been a challenge to bid seasonal for me after last year. Do you have a number in mind? I will consider the number being with the larger equipment needed.
I was thinking 10 skid steers and a truck that stays local with a 10 ft wideout,

OP
K
How much cleaning between the trailers do they require?

Also, do all the egress doors have to be cleared?
Those steel grated steps are a pain to shovel. About the only way to do them is a backpack blower.
I am going to make the bid say that is all not included unless discussed, they gave me minimum detail on purpose I'm sure.

GMC Driver

PlowSite.com Addict
I'd agree - efficiency is the key on a property of this size.

I know where I'd be - but that might not work in Chicago. We're over $100/ton on salt here, and we would implement a liquid program for a site like that.

We've got experience on trucking yards. 1" trigger is common. If it's snowing, don't expect to leave the site anytime soon. You're there until it stops. I suppose it depends on what type of traffic, but guessing by all the bay doors it's vans. They don't exactly spec trucks with lockers or attract the most winter experienced drivers.

Mark Oomkes

PlowSite Fanatic
I bid a 40 acre complex once. They wanted hourly which was ridiculous. I tried to sell them on either a seasonal or per push, can't remember. I didn't get it, lost out to an RV repair company that did snow on the side. Whatever. They also wanted sand/salt mix which I told them I wouldn't do.

I figured 2 loaders with 16' pushers, 2 skidsteers and a truck for a supervisor/helping here and there. Plus sidewalks.

I'm going to be blunt, but I call BS that you've done more with less. 10 skidsteers with 10 operators vs 2 loaders and 2 skidsteers and 4 operators.

This is a no brainer. Are you a jobs program or are you in business to make money? Not even getting into where are you going to find 10 qualified operators. Efficiency is everything nowadays with fuel, insurance, equipment and labor costs. And 10 skidsteers is anything but efficient.

I know you said you handled operations so you should know production rates but did you do anything with the numbers? I'm wondering if you were getting the work done while your partner was screwing you because you weren't actually making money.

Hydromaster

PlowSite Fanatic
I’m just gonna toss this out there,
who’s going to shovel the sidewalks/stairs/
Entryways /fire exits /loading docks?

Top Forums