4 townships, 100 miles....I got this....

Discussion in 'Government Property Snow Removal' started by 4x4Farmer, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 PlowSite Fanatic

Have you ever seen a grader in action?

They are bad ***. You get a good operator on one and they are absolutely an unbelievable piece of iron.

2. Broncslefty7

Broncslefty7 2000 Club Member

you must be pulling some serious money hourly for that piece of equipment. Congratulations

3. rebert

rebert Senior Member

I missed that detail. makes sense

4. rebert

rebert Senior Member

I remember when I was a little kid standing at the end of my street near the main road watching the plow trucks go by, when it was really deep I would see the graders with one way plows out.

5. FredG

FredG PlowSite Fanatic

Years ago the operators were amazing, I would get the opportunity to run one now and then but when it came to finish grade I would get thrown off. :laugh: Now they got all kind of electronics on them don't have to be quiet as good.

Philbilly2 likes this.
  6. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 PlowSite Fanatic

No doubt. The old guys that I have seen run them were unreal. Have not seen a guy under 50 run the snot out of one yet. Not that they are not out there, the last guy I was around had already retired 2 times and they keep calling him back as the hall could not produce enough proficient qualified operators.

EWSplow, Mark Oomkes and FredG like this.
  7. FredG

FredG PlowSite Fanatic

There still doing it, some of these guy are real old, they get it close with the dozers then you would see the old guy show up with his Buick. :laugh:

Philbilly2 likes this.
  8. leigh

leigh PlowSite Veteran
    from CT

Must be the same all over.Knew a guy who was in his 80's they would pick him up and bring him to the jobsite! He would try to hide sometimes but I think his wife would rat him out to get him out of her hair.

9. Bighammer

Bighammer Senior Member

Nice looking machine. I can't help but think that it will create some major drifts in places. Hope it all works out for you.

Our county hadn't graded our road in 6 or 7 years, until about a month ago. Looked like a large grader came thru with the blade straight; took off all of the crown and left windrows on both sides. WTF? I went out before it rained and turned it into a muddy slide/bathtub. Good help must be hard to find.

10. FredG

FredG PlowSite Fanatic

I use to get it close with the bulldozer, then go to the grader to try to get sometime on it was not long for I got the 86. :laugh:

leigh likes this.
  11. Captaingc

Captaingc Junior Member

Yep!! Seen this happen in Alaska

Bighammer likes this.
  12. DavCut

DavCut Member

How did the summer road gig work out? Back on the snow contract again this winter?

13. OP
    OP
    4x4Farmer

4x4Farmer PlowSite.com Addict

The summer time work went well. Could have been a full time job if I had a guy to run it 8hrs a day. With farming I can only handle so much summer time work. I have enough townships beating the door down for snow removal I'm adding another machine. I can't justify having another maintainer for snow only so I'm planning on using a cat 926M loader with a one way or hydraulic v plow. I know I wont have the speed to throw it like the maintainer but will be able to get them opened up and then come back and wing it with the maintainer if need be. Plus I can use the loader on the farm in the summer time. With that being said....looking for a big beefy v plow with fusion coupler if anyone has one laying around they want to sell. Let me know.

14. RevelationL&S

RevelationL&S Member

Back when you could push the snow into lakes and ponds eh? Yeah.... I bet those were the days when you could push snow into a pond.