Snow Plowing Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts
I think that having a trailer mounted Salter is a great idea.

I have seen a few of them around here and they seem to work ok.

How are the brakes on the trailer and what kind of brakes are they (air, electric, fred flinstone feet?????) Also you say its a 4 ton unit? what does that equate to in cubic yards???

Discussion starter · #23 ·
ponyboy;744294 said:
i have never seen anybody pull behind a salter why not just mount it in a truck?? Is this common in some areas??
idk about you guys, but i would never put a salter in the back of one of my pick-ups, that'll ruin your pick-up faster than anything else. that's why i built the trailer. tow the salter, park it, plow, hook back up and salt.

Discussion starter · #24 ·
M1N1TRK;745350 said:
I think that having a trailer mounted Salter is a great idea.

I have seen a few of them around here and they seem to work ok.

How are the brakes on the trailer and what kind of brakes are they (air, electric, fred flinstone feet?????) Also you say its a 4 ton unit? what does that equate to in cubic yards???
i believe it holds around 2.5 yards.and it has electric brakes...each 12-ply wheel is weighted for 2,800 lbs.

Discussion starter · #27 ·
motor was re-built three (3) years ago and i think, maybe, it has gone out twelve (12) salt runs in the past three years, none this year.

Are you willing to meet any closer to southern NY...?

i would not put it in a pick up but i would a dump truck, i just seems stupid to me to tow a trailer full of salt around on icy road i would hate to see what happens if the trailer started pushing a pick up truck if it got gpoing down an icy road. i would buy a dump or a smaller salter to fit in the truck i have already. just my stupid opinion

Discussion starter · #35 ·
no its not a stupid opinion at all, i couldn't agree with you more, however not everyone can turn around and afford a dump body. they are expensive. they are high maintenance and if you don't have yearly use, i would feel guilty as all hell seeing that thing sit around in the warm months. but towing is no different than towing a snowmobile trailer or a 5-ton landscape trailer behind your truck, don't be dumb while you drive and you'll be fine. used it for years and never had once incident.

i love this idea, i have never seen it locally. im going to call the guy i plow with and see if he is interested.

ponyboy;747083 said:
i would not put it in a pick up but i would a dump truck, i just seems stupid to me to tow a trailer full of salt around on icy road i would hate to see what happens if the trailer started pushing a pick up truck if it got gpoing down an icy road. i would buy a dump or a smaller salter to fit in the truck i have already. just my stupid opinion
We had a similiar trailer and used it for a few years. All of our jobs were within 5 miles of our salt pile and it worked great. You had to be carefull but it was much better carring 4 ton then the 2 ton we'd carry in the back of the truck. If someone has a large site this would be a great salter to leave there for that one site.

Discussion starter · #38 ·
JD Dave;747989 said:
We had a similiar trailer and used it for a few years. All of our jobs were within 5 miles of our salt pile and it worked great. You had to be carefull but it was much better carring 4 ton then the 2 ton we'd carry in the back of the truck. If someone has a large site this would be a great salter to leave there for that one site.
exactly...

it's been a long time..., you still have it?

21 - 40 of 46 Posts
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.