351 to 4speed

mud_man93

I have a bell housing question. I have a 79 351w with a automatic behind it. Iam not sure which one it has? I also have a 390 with a 4speed behind it. Can i just bolt the 4 speed up to the 351 or is the bell housing different? Would i need to get a different bell housing. Will the same clutch work also since the 390 with 4 speedf has a brand new clutch?

Pelican

2000 Club Member
I'm pretty sure the mounts are different, I think the only engines that share the same mount as the 351W are the 302 and the 300 six. A few years ago, I could tell you for certain, as I was making a swap myself, but it's been a while since I've played with them.

Pelican

2000 Club Member
You'll need the bell housing, flywheel and clutch assembly, I think the transmission may bolt on, but I'm not sure. Those engines are from two different eras, there may have been a redesign in between.

Check the input spline on the tranny with your clutch disc, see if they are the same.

OP
M

mud_man93

i forgot to mention that the 390 is a 75 and was origiannly in the truck but the motor blew and that is why iam replacing it with the 351

CARDOCTOR

PlowSite.com Addict
390 is a fe series big block we swap a 390 in to a ranchero that had a 302 in it we had to change mounts bell housing. bigger rad etc.

cardoctor

Team_Yamaha

They have different bellhousings (351Wvs.390), the clutch is probably also different. You have to do is find a 300, 302, 351W, or 352 with the same tranny and use that bellhousing. The 390 is still technically a small block, but it has a big block bell housing bolt pattern, I know that the 351C, 351M, 400, 427, 428, 429, 460 have the same pattern, I think that the 360 and 514 does also.

Top Forums