3 or 4 leafs for K10 and 8' Fisher?

A

asnowsquall

I own a 1976 Chevy K10 which has a total of 4 leafs on the front end. I'm going to be installing an older 8 foot Fisher plow that I purchased for $625 complete. The truck it came off of had 4 leafs on each side. I've seen many trucks of my vintage that have 3 on each side. What do you guys recommend? Leaf shop has a pair of 4 leafs for $260. JcWhitney has a pair of 3 leafs for $170.

PlowSite.com Addict
Spend the extra $$$ and put the 4 leafs on.

Fishers are good plows, but as Dino points out a bit on the heavy side. Nothing wrong with that, that '76 should handle it just fine.

OP
A

asnowsquall

Picked up the 4 leaf sytem and hardware today. $310 total. Where is my airgun, I need to blow the smoke off my VISA card.
I let you know how it goes. Shouldn't be to bad as the truck is clean (from AZ) and I've used bar and chain oil on it every season so the U bolts aren't even rusty.

CT18fireman

Banned
That is not a bad price for the complete setup. Make sure that you torque everything and then after a few days of drving recheck. I have seen ubolt nuts loosen up. That could be ugly cruising down the highway.

OP
A

asnowsquall

CT,
I asked the place I purchased the springs from, a local spring shop, about Torque spec's and they said they use an 1/2" air impact wrench that is good for about 400 ft lbs. then they use a boxed end wrench on it after that, sometimes with a breaker bar. All I could picture was some of these dump trucks in town with oversized loads trying to avoid accidents. hhhmmmmm.... why did the axle come off? Seems like a good way to test the stress/strain curve to me. Am I being over critical? Can you use loc-tite on the threads to prevent them from loosening after they are torqued to the proper spec. I'm thinking of trying this, mark the nut and u-bolt, and then check it from time to time to see if it moves. Anyone else have ideas on this?