Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone - looking for advice. I'm a commercial building contractor and I currently have a 1000' gravel driveway that I pay someone else to plow and regularly sand. My wife asked for a truck to periodically haul a horse trailer and a few kids, so I found her an '03 3/4 Yukon XL with the 8.1L gas engine in real good shape. The past owner used it to haul his two classic convertibles in a 24' box trailer.

I've made the decision to equip the truck with a plow and a tailgate sand spreader with the thought of clearing/sanding not only our own driveway, but possibly a handful of other residential and commercial clients around town. We get about a dozen allowable events a winter up here in Maine.

I'm getting mixed advice from a local Boss dealer - who is suggesting an 8.2 steel V with one of their largest spreaders - to a SnowEx dealer who is telling me that I shouldn't go bigger than a 7.6 straight blade and a much smaller spreader.

Thoughts on the proper setup for this truck? Thanks in advance!

· Registered
5,648 Posts
I've got a 2001 8.1 Suburban 2500with a 7.6 Western straight blade. 400ish foot long rural gravel driveway. Got a screaming deal on the plow (with another 2001 8.1 'burb attached (for parts)). Beggars can't be choosers, but I wish I had gotten a bigger blade as my rear wheels go outside my plow path when I turn.

I have no idea what larger plows the vehicle could support, but I'd guess there's a variety of larger V's that would fit.

Being that I only plow two driveways (mine and a distant neighbor's (for free) and I am cheap, I may add wings if the right deal comes along.

· Registered
405 Posts
Sounds like the Boss dealer is giving real world advice, and the SnowEx dealer is going by manufacturer recommendations.

That said, with the 7.6 you will be running over your trails when you turn. Id go with the 8.2, especially with the counterweight of a spreader it should do handle it just fine. Im not too familiar with Boss, but even if it isnt recommended by the manufacturer, i dont think there will be a problem

· Registered
769 Posts
Keep in mind that for safety reasons plow manufacturers have to stay under the weight limit that your front axle and tire ratings.
These guidelines most likely will include several passengers.
If you don't regularly max out the vehicle with occupants there is probably a little fudge room for a heavier plow.
Just don't be surprised if or when shocks, springs, and/or ball joints fail prematurely.
Ballast in the back will help...

Good luck with your choice. I have been personally running over the ratings for years.

S

· Registered
7,368 Posts
I have the same rig.
Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Automotive side marker light Land vehicle
Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Wheel Tire Land vehicle

We put a mount on the Yukon it use as a back up if the original truck brakes down.
That's a 9-6 snowex V.
I wouldn't ever go less then 8' on a full size truck, ideally 8.5. the difference in runoff is huge between 8 and 8.5.

· Registered
7,368 Posts
Did you need to do anything with the front suspension with that heavy of a plow?
Not yet, it's only a back up, if we use it once it will be worth the cost of the mount,harness and controller. And now I have all those spare parts for the other truck as well.
The plow normally goes on this truck.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Snow
Light Automotive lighting Road surface Automotive tire Asphalt
Car Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting

· Registered
295 Posts
I have a 02 yukon 2500 with no plow on it but i do have a 95 k3500 dump with a ezV. Even with the dump body this plow is heavy and my dump benifits from about 850lbs behind the rear axle.

I love my yukon 2500. We have no kids but its the perfect vehicle for loading full of camping gear and towing a car trailer full of quads. I have the 6.0l it tows 7klbs good enough. We will be buying another when this one is nearly dead from the northeast rust.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.