Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2Plug/3Plug Transport Question

My F350 is a 2plug system.
So I got a little advice on rewiring 3plug plows into 2plug setups, and it seems doable for minimal cost and effort.

My question is, does anyone know if 2 of the plugs on a 3plug plow can be used on a 2plug truck, and if so, will it lift for transport purposes, or is the plows plug with the male pins for the headlight portion of the plows wiring?

I found a couple of 3plug pics, and they appear like they may fit into my trucks 2plug sockets.
If you look closely, one of the three plug type is a different pin configuration than the other 3plug and the 2plug.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,225 Posts
The short answer is no

The long answer is I don't know what I'm looking at in those photos. The upper left is a 3 plug setup, plow side. The middle right photo is 2 plugs of the same 3 plug plowside setup, but it looks like be from a dirtier and crappier setup. The lower left appears to be the exact same thing also but too blurry to really make out. I can't count the male pins but I can see the plow frame below it, it has the same male 2 pin plug, and the same 11 socket plug. So the only possible remaining one is another 11 male pin connector. So none of those show a 2 plug setup or a truck side setup.

In any case, the truck side would either have:

3 plug: A power plug with 2 female sockets, a 3 pin (or 7 pin) connector with male pins, and an 11 pin connector with female sockets
2 plug fleet flex: A power plug with 4 female sockets (2 large and 2 tiny in the middle) and an 11 pin connector with female sockets
2 plug relay: a power plug with 2 female sockets and a 12 pin connector with female sockets.

There are 2 different 2 plug setups -

the old relay style will have 12 holes on the main plug on the truck side, 2 of which are bigger than the rest. The connectors are different and won't plug into the 3 plug plow

The newer style fleet flex 2 plug will have an 11 pin and a 4 pin - the 11 pin is the same and would let your controller light up but if you tried to connect the other one for the power the motor will start running immediately until you unplug it and you won't be able to operate the plow anyway because you will be missing the 3rd control plug entirely

Even though the fleet flex power plug has 4 pins, it'll connect to most of the 2 pin power plugs (incorrectly) because they reuse the same molded ends. The other two tiny sockets simply have nothing inside them.

·
Premium Member
16,225 Posts
So based on your other thread, you have a 2 plug relay style

So that plow will not plug in at all as is - the pins are a different number, different size, and aren't even laid out in the same pattern

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, thanks for the foresight!
Looks like if I decide to get a 3plug plow, I'll have to raise it manually and then use the safety chain for transport.

Soooo...
Asking in advance....
Will there be any other surprises when I try to rewire the lights and motor from a 3plug to a 2plug?

Thanks!

·
Registered
17,875 Posts
If I am reading this correct?

IF you have 2 plug relay, NOT fleet flex

You will not be able to use headlights on plow.

You can however make an adapter that will allow you to use the lift, left, right, and drop functions on a 3 plug plow using a two plug relay style truck to operate it.

·
Premium Member
16,225 Posts
If I am reading this correct?

IF you have 2 plug relay, NOT fleet flex

You will not be able to use headlights on plow.

You can however make an adapter that will allow you to use the lift, left, right, and drop functions on a 3 plug plow using a two plug relay style truck to operate it.
He made another thread where he stated he intends to rewire either the truck or plow so they match - his post here was asking if he'd be able to run it temporarily in the meantime just to transport it home.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts