285/75R18's on stock suspension, WITH a plow

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Noelie84, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Noelie84

Noelie84 Member

Morning all.

I've got a 2015 Ram 2500, stock suspension and 18" rims.
    Anybody running 285/75R18's (or 35's, which have around the same height, but are an inch wider) on a stock truck? I am looking for a little extra clearance but don't want to install a lift/leveling kit. Going to 285's would get me almost an inch of extra height (1.67" overall diameter difference), and I know that they won't rub without the plow on because I have a buddy with a '16 running the same size with no issues, but he doesn't run a plow so I don't know if they'll cause problems when I hang 900lbs from the nose.

Long story short, are 285/75R18's likely to rub with the weight of my 8.5 Fisher V on the front?

2. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

How mulch front suspension sag/compression do you have now? That should give you an idea as to if the taller tyres are going to be an issue.
    I'd turn the wheels all the way left / right and put on tyre on a curb or block that's curb height to get the full picture.

Noelie84 likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Noelie84

Noelie84 Member

I have a fair amount of clearance now, but currently the plow is buried at the back side of the garage behind the 'summer' stuff and I was hoping to avoid digging it out, adding my usual counterweight, and hooking everything up (and then putting everything back afterwards) just to find out. Figured asking if anybody had any first-hand experience was a good way to save a lot of garage shuffling.

4. m_ice

m_ice PlowSite.com Addict

35s will rub with a 9.5 v with wings and a level kit on the truck

Noelie84 likes this.
  5. Tom.S Snow Removal

Tom.S Snow Removal Member

I'd say it unless you're plowing flat ground go with a taller skinny Tire not wider. Especially with a Dodge will be an ice skate

6. m_ice

m_ice PlowSite.com Addict

I'm saying they will rub on any ground as I had 35s on my truck and they would not go lock to lock without rubbing

7. Tom.S Snow Removal

I'm just saying for plowing scenarios if you have steep driveways I wouldn't even worry about getting bigger tires on your truck but if you're just doing flat ground sure lift it and put big tires under there

8. OP
    OP
    Noelie84

Noelie84 Member

Yeah, I have some steep slopes that I have to plow, but traction isn't really an issue (between the truck, plow frame, sandbags in the bed, and 160lbs of driver we're currently around 4 tons). And I'm not even looking for more clearance when I plow; it's during the summer season when we're making trips up to camp that I want the extra height.
    Sounds like I'll probably stick with the stock 275/70R18's for this season and maybe look into a spare set of rims & tires in the spring.

Thanks for the help, everybody!

BUFF likes this.
  9. Tom.S Snow Removal

10. Tom.S Snow Removal

Yeah that size tire is perfect for plowing!

11. Hydromaster

Hydromaster PlowSite.com Addict
    from 406

What about the tread pattern and weight rating?

BUFF and m_ice like this.
  12. OP
    OP
    Noelie84

Noelie84 Member

Currently? 275/70R18 Falken Wildpeak A/T3W LRE's rated at 3640lbs/tire.

BUFF likes this.
  13. Hydromaster

Hydromaster PlowSite.com Addict
    from 406

The 285 will be fine and the 18s are much taller Than the 16’s I’m running.

The only issue I see is you might have a slight rub when you turn all the way to the stops. I never like pushing up against the stops anyways.

For a good plowing tire do you want a open tread pattern without a continuous center rib
    & Rated for snow.

While I’ve always preached a tall and skinny tire we have to remember we’re not cutting through snow to get to the pavement while we’re plowing because the plow has removed the snow from our path.
    Plus the Added weight of the plow & counterweight aids in traction also.