1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

24 acres of land to plow and salt

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by SnowGeekJason, Sep 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SnowGeekJason

SnowGeekJason Junior Member
    from 48025

Hello all! As the 2016-2017 winter season is approaching I have been blessed with a opportunity to bid a UPS shipping and receiving distribution center. The area is 24 acres of plow-able land all of it needs to be salted as well. Correct me if i am wrong but i figure a CAT 924 along with a 16 foot box plow, two pickup trucks with 8'2 v blades can plow and salt this within 5 hours. The area is nothing but asphalt for most of it. Maybe a light pole every 500 feet. site manager already understands that there will be a retainer fee just to keep the CAT 924 on the property at all times. He was the one that actually told me to show that serperate. I am able to get my salt for $49/ton delivered on site and stored in the SILO that they provide just for us. My questions is what do you think is a fair price? My math is this.

Machine $26,000 for five months
    Insurance up charge $4,000 (to cover machine and owner wants 2 million dollar blanket policy)
    Fuel $2,000
    Salt $8,250
    New blades for plow $500.

Estimated 30 salting trips and 17 plowing trips.

Based off of the 1,022,400 square feet of land to be plowed i thought $143,000 is a good number for me to give to the customer for a plan that has a no snow cap nor a salt cap unless the price of salt raises over 50% of what it is currently. the $143,000 would be good NOV 15- April 15.

If customer wants per push price this is what i think.

$2,400 for any amount up to four inches of snow, after that it is $800 per four inches.

salting is $750/ application.

A upfront retainer fee of $20,000 and than four $5,000 payments for each month thereafter.

FYI there is only 100 feet of sidewalk to deal with.

Anyone wanna chime in?
    good or bad pricing?

2. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 2000 Club Member

BUFF and Mark Oomkes like this.
  3. Defcon 5

Couple of questions to start...

How much salt per app are you basing your estamate...??

Is there an hour limit on the rental machine...??

$500 for "New" Blades??

What has been the largest account to date you have maintained.???

What part of the country are you located..??

4. SnowGeekJason

SnowGeekJason Junior Member
    from 48025

Located right out of Detroit Michigan. I figure 5 tons of salt needed for 24 acres. Blades for the plow. I figure i''ll go through a set or close to a set with this much plowing. kinda just through that in there for sh*ts and giggles.
    Largest account has been for a church that had 11 acres of plowing to be done. We were able to get by with one truck and a skid steer with that and about two tons of salt per application.

5. FredG

FredG PlowSite Veteran

Wow, I sure hope that salt price don't change, That's a very low price for salt.

6. Defcon 5

Gonna take a wee bit more than 5 tons for 24 acres to get the desired results I bet they are looking for...

7. Defcon 5

Since it's in the Detoilet Market...I bet that account goes for under a $100k all inclusive

BUFF, Mark Oomkes and LapeerLandscape like this.
  8. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen 2000 Club Member

What are you planning on salting it with?

In my opinion, 24 acres of wide open asphalt with nothing but light poles calls for a bigger machine than a 924, and a larger box than 16 feet. And I don't think trucks have any need at all to be around this.

9. Defcon 5

Correct me if I'm wrong Mr.DeereGreen...On a Snow lease on a machine..There is a pretty big price jump from a 924 to a 936...Then an even larger increase to a 950..I bet that's what he is looking at....

I think all you need in this Lot is Oomkes with his Cummings Ebling and Blizzard-Ex plow

Philbilly2, BUFF and Mark Oomkes like this.
  10. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

I know the guys that do our local UPS terminal here. Don't know the size but they use 2 loaders, a backhoe and 3 trucks. In our one big storm last season they billed over $100k.

11. John_DeereGreen

No idea, we own all our snow equipment. If that's the case for real, then maybe 2 would be a better solution. I just don't see that one machine keeping up well.

Maybe he should just buy a couple 4' The Snow Plow shovels and get Jose and Guadalupe to run them. That'd be better than the Cummings powered plowin' machine!

12. Defcon 5

Lol...How dare you down grade The King of Snow Oomkes Skills....If he plows half as well as he trolls....He should be King Plow....:drinkup:

13. Defcon 5

To the OP...I would subcontract the loader...Pay him a $2000 a month retainer..He works off that...That way the fuel and operator are his responsibility....Even if we have an "Epic" winter your loader costs will come nowhere near the $26 grand your gonna pay Michigan Cat...Also you might wanna take a look at you salt usage for that site

BUFF, FredG and Mark Oomkes like this.
  14. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

How did you come up with 5 tons?

How did you come up with 15 hours of plowing time?

How many loading docks?

Maybe a light pole every 500'? Does that mean that maybe there aren't?

Defcon 5 likes this.
  15. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Hello, I work in South East Michigan Metro Detroit area and i have an amazing opportunity to Clear 2 huge apartment towers parking lots and sidewalks. Only problem it I do not have the capitol to go a month or so without being paid and for the estimated 8 tons of salt needed per clearing. plus needing another truck to handle the other 5 commercial and 30 residential contracts i have. (Billing at end of month) If the price per clearing is about $8,000 and the trigger is 1in for salt and 2in for plowing is it a bad idea to ask for a down payment of $40,000 or so? Average events range from 10-15 throughout the year .

Things that make you say "hmmmmmmm".

16. Defcon 5

Someone has some explaining to do...:hammerhead:

17. Defcon 5

Did you get the two huge apartment towers from last year???...I'm probably gonna get in trouble from mr.MJD for saying this...You have no business bidding on this account.Your clearly still not ready to play in the big boy sandbox...Stick to Dollar General and Fast Food chains...The pricing has been so beating up in the Detroit Metro market by clueless Contractors

FredG, BUFF and Mark Oomkes like this.
  18. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape 2000 Club Member

I remember that post, I wonder what ever happened with that job.

ice-eater likes this.
  19. Masssnowfighter

Masssnowfighter Senior Member
    from ma

24 acres with only 1 loader on site and you will be in huge trouble if you ever get a big storm or if that loader was to have any sort of breakdown. Pick up trucks are pretty useless at distribution centers. So I would eliminate them and add at least 1 more loader with a 16' pusher. We run 3 loaders at our 25 acre site.

FredG likes this.
  20. John_DeereGreen

Well this just got interesting.

Mark Oomkes likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.