• Vaccine Priority For Essential Snow & Ice Workers?
    Concerned about COVID-19 and/or potential labor shortages? Click here for a letter to health departments from SIMA emphasizing your priority for the COVID vaccine as an "essential" worker.

2020 Chevy 1500 2.7 turbo plowing

OP
A

Adamaustin1979

Is installing Timbrens what you are considering upgrading the front suspension?

What about the air filer and the aux trans cooler?
And the only other truck I could do a 2.7 that gave an option for a plow prep was on was an LT. when you asked for plow prep, it said you needed to go to a work truck package or a Z71 package. So with the Z71 package... this is what it changes when you select a plow prep...

Changing Z71 Off-Road Package will also change the following:
REMOVE

• 3.42 rear axle ratio
  • 17" Bright Silver painted aluminum wheels
  • 2.7L Turbo engine
  • 7,000 lbs. GVWR
  • 17" 255/70R17 all-season, blackwall spare tire
  • 17" 255/70R17 all-season, blackwall tires
ADD
  • Dual-outlet exhaust
  • 2-speed Autotrac Transfer Case
  • Hill Descent Control
  • 18" Bright Silver painted aluminum wheels
  • External auxiliary transmission oil cooler
  • 3.23 rear axle ratio
  • External engine oil cooler
  • 7,100 lbs. GVWR
  • 5.3L EcoTec3 V8 engine with DFM
  • Automatic locking rear differential
  • 17" 265/70R17SL all-season, blackwall spare tire
  • Skid plates
  • Trailering Package
  • 18" 265/65R18SL all-terrain, blackwall tires
  • High-capacity air filter
  • Hitch Guidance
Price Change: $5,560

Which makes me wonder after seeing this... what does your truck have for a rear end currently?

CMNT

You mention the Timbren's. I have nothing against them in the least, but Buyers makes pretty much the same thing for half the price. I just installed them on my truck this weekend.

OP
A

Adamaustin1979

You mention the Timbren's. I have nothing against them in the least, but Buyers makes pretty much the same thing for half the price. I just installed them on my truck this weekend.
That’s cool, I’ll look into that. I currently bought a set of timbrens but will happily return and try the buyers if they’re significantly cheaper

OP
A

Adamaustin1979

Just an update. I ended up getting a snow way 26 series 7.5 w down pressure. It’s getting installed on Tuesday. Fingers crossed that I’ll like it as much as I think I will. It was expensive but I think the downpressure will save significant headaches and time on each driveway. Will post a pic.

DeVries

2000 Club Member
Eliminating the stupid stop start would make the extra money worth it. I find it really annoying. Like driving a golf cart. And yes I know you can shut it off but you have to do it every time you get into it.

OP
A

Adamaustin1979

Eliminating the stupid stop start would make the extra money worth it. I find it really annoying. Like driving a golf cart. And yes I know you can shut it off but you have to do it every time you get into it.
100% agree w that. I may buy the kit that eliminates it. I don’t like the idea of constantly starting and stopping the engine w a turbo

Newdude

Its not that the powertrain can't handle it. It can. It weighs less than the 4.3 even so you have good front end capacity.

The problem is you can't get VYU plow prep, and that a plow will block air flow to the intercooler. The lower fascia has that opening in the center that feeds air to the intercooler. Blocking that off will more than likely lead to charge air cooler performance codes because the CAC won't be properly performing its job at reducing the air temps.

CMNT

That’s cool, I’ll look into that. I currently bought a set of timbrens but will happily return and try the buyers if they’re significantly cheaper
Here is a pic of the buyers. I know you have the Timbrens in. After installed, I measured another inch of lift as measured to the top of the plow mount.

Stock vs. the Buyers
20201213_144830.jpg

Drivers side installed
20201213_151026.jpg

OP
A

Adamaustin1979

Here is a pic of the buyers. I know you have the Timbrens in. After installed, I measured another inch of lift as measured to the top of the plow mount.

Stock vs. the Buyers
View attachment 211360

Drivers side installed
View attachment 211361
Those do look basically the same. I’m very happy with the timbrens. Definitely helps with the plow. I don’t think the plow drops the front end any more that 1/2 inch and it’s hardly noticeable that there’s a plow on the truck when driving down the road.

OP
A

Adamaustin1979

I didn’t have to sign a waiver for the snoway plow. That’s one of the reasons that I went with it. The install was also fairly in-invasive. The only thing they did was remove the little plastic strip under where the fog lights go.
Oh, and for the record, I’m loving the 2.7 engine. It has a lot of torque and gets great mileage. I think that if there’s a weak link in this drivetrain it is going to be the 8 speed trans. It doesn’t get the greatest of reviews and it has a lot of shift lag when cold. On the other hand, I’ve never had any issues with GM transmissions before and I’ve never found them to give the smoothest performance.

Last edited: