2020 Chevy 1500 2.7 turbo plowing

Adamaustin1979

I’m having a lot of trouble finding info on this. I currently have an appointment to have a snowdogg MD75 installed. Was told GM doesn’t recommend a plow on the 2.7, however they are ok on 4.3 and 5.3. Anyone know what’s up with that? Plow install guy at the dealer didn’t seem to have any idea why and said he didn’t see why I couldn’t do it. Google searches yield nothing on the subject. Outside of the engine, which, although smaller, makes more torque and HP than the 4.3, the rest of the drive train is same as used on the 5.3 V8. I’d love it if someone could shine some light on this. Thanks in advance- Adam

OP
A

Adamaustin1979

Thanks for the quick reply. Those are the guys that are doing my install in the 23rd. I have to sign a waiver to have it done. I wonder if the axle weight is any different between the 3 engines? I’m going to install Timbrens which should help. My biggest concern is that there could be a cooling issue or something concerning the turbo that I’m unaware of. Off subject, I heard that the install is quite the project on the new 1500s

OP
A

Adamaustin1979

Will do. Im hoping it will work out well. I’m only going to do a few residential driveways with it. Most of the time this truck will be pulling a trailer for my small engine biz. It’s tough to find info on it because it’s the newest model. My 05 Colorado, which I used for years, was so old you could find info on anything within 5 minutes of searching

leolkfrm

PlowSite Veteran
if you dont mind spending $$$$$$$ because you voided your warranty by installing it, all is fine ....might do a search on the engine

fordboy

We’re a BOSS dealer and a snowex dealer. BOSS says you can’t put a plow on the 2.7 truck because the intercooler is too low. Snow ex says it’s ok. Obviously the difference in the mount. I’m not familiar enough with the snowdogg mount to say if it might interfere.

Philbilly2

PlowSite Fanatic
if you dont mind spending $$$$$$$ because you voided your warranty by installing it, all is fine ....might do a search on the engine

Proof yet again... there is no replacement for displacement...

OP
A

Adamaustin1979

I’ll take any article with a grain of salt. I personally love the 2.7. If you look at the way it was built, it’s similar concept to a diesel. High compression, long stroke, almost 300 ft/lb of torque from 1500-4000 rpm. And the internal components are all beefed up as well to handle the extra torque. There will always be people that think bigger=better, but I feel the performance speaks for itself.

OP
A

Adamaustin1979

We’re a BOSS dealer and a snowex dealer. BOSS says you can’t put a plow on the 2.7 truck because the intercooler is too low. Snow ex says it’s ok. Obviously the difference in the mount. I’m not familiar enough with the snowdogg mount to say if it might interfere.
Can you quote me on a snowex half ton installed? Your explanation sounds about right. It explains why some plow companies install on the 2.7 and some don’t . Further, some companies only install on one of the three engine choices. So it makes sense that the install kits interfering with certain components is the likely explanation. I’ve continued to research this and found that it doesn’t void your warranty. Any truck without the plow prep package will not be covered for plow specific damage, otherwise no difference. Doesn’t matter which engine. So, I’ve already got the upgraded alternator, I’m upgrading the front suspension. That leaves the roof light connection as the only thing I’m missing on the plow package.

Philbilly2

PlowSite Fanatic
I’ll take any article with a grain of salt. I personally love the 2.7. If you look at the way it was built, it’s similar concept to a diesel. High compression, long stroke, almost 300 ft/lb of torque from 1500-4000 rpm. And the internal components are all beefed up as well to handle the extra torque. There will always be people that think bigger=better, but I feel the performance speaks for itself.

All in the eye of the beer holder. :drinkup:

Philbilly2

PlowSite Fanatic
Any truck without the plow prep package will not be covered for plow specific damage, otherwise no difference. Doesn’t matter which engine. So, I’ve already got the upgraded alternator, I’m upgrading the front suspension. That leaves the roof light connection as the only thing I’m missing on the plow package.

Is installing Timbrens what you are considering upgrading the front suspension?

What about the air filer and the aux trans cooler?

OP
A

Adamaustin1979

Is installing Timbrens what you are considering upgrading the front suspension?

What about the air filer and the aux trans cooler?
Yes, so far that seems like the best way. I haven’t seen any heavy duty springs for the new body style yet unless it’s part of a lift kit or something. Not sure how good the stock trans cooler is. It’s got a trans ten gauge, so I’ll watch that and upgrade as required

Philbilly2

PlowSite Fanatic
Changing Snow Plow Prep Package will also change the following:
When you select "Plow Prep Package" as you build a truck, this is what it changes if you have a 2.7L selected when you click it.

REMOVE
  • Automatic Stop/Start
  • 7,000 lbs. GVWR
  • 2.7L Turbo engine
  • 8-speed automatic transmission
  • Heavy-duty 730 cold-cranking amps battery
  • Single-zone manual, semi-automatic climate control
  • 40/20/40 split-bench front seat with covered armrest storage
ADD
  • 7,100 lbs. GVWR
  • 5.3L EcoTec3 V8 engine
  • Skid plates
  • External auxiliary transmission oil cooler
  • 40/20/40 split-bench front seat
  • 6-speed automatic transmission
  • High-capacity air filter
Price Change: $3,675

Seems odd that when you select snow plow prep... it would change the engine and trans...

OP
A

Adamaustin1979

Changing Snow Plow Prep Package will also change the following:
When you select "Plow Prep Package" as you build a truck, this is what it changes if you have a 2.7L selected when you click it.

REMOVE
  • Automatic Stop/Start
  • 7,000 lbs. GVWR
  • 2.7L Turbo engine
  • 8-speed automatic transmission
  • Heavy-duty 730 cold-cranking amps battery
  • Single-zone manual, semi-automatic climate control
  • 40/20/40 split-bench front seat with covered armrest storage
ADD
  • 7,100 lbs. GVWR
  • 5.3L EcoTec3 V8 engine
  • Skid plates
  • 40/20/40 split-bench front seat
  • 6-speed automatic transmission
Price Change: $3,675

Seems odd that when you select snow plow prep... it would change the engine and trans...
That is odd. I can’t explain all of the changes. I didn’t think the 6 speed was an option with anything except the 4.3 v6.

Philbilly2

PlowSite Fanatic
And the only other truck I could do a 2.7 that gave an option for a plow prep was on was an LT. when you asked for plow prep, it said you needed to go to a work truck package or a Z71 package. So with the Z71 package... this is what it changes when you select a plow prep...

Changing Z71 Off-Road Package will also change the following:
REMOVE

• 3.42 rear axle ratio
  • 17" Bright Silver painted aluminum wheels
  • 2.7L Turbo engine
  • 7,000 lbs. GVWR
  • 17" 255/70R17 all-season, blackwall spare tire
  • 17" 255/70R17 all-season, blackwall tires
ADD
  • Dual-outlet exhaust
  • 2-speed Autotrac Transfer Case
  • Hill Descent Control
  • 18" Bright Silver painted aluminum wheels
  • 3.23 rear axle ratio
  • External engine oil cooler
  • 7,100 lbs. GVWR
  • 5.3L EcoTec3 V8 engine with DFM
  • Automatic locking rear differential
  • 17" 265/70R17SL all-season, blackwall spare tire
  • Skid plates
  • Trailering Package
  • 18" 265/65R18SL all-terrain, blackwall tires
  • Hitch Guidance
Price Change: $5,560

Which makes me wonder after seeing this... what does your truck have for a rear end currently?

Top Forums