Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after this last storm that hit Kansas City we have decided we need to replace a chevy plow truck we have, bottom ball joint broke, 293,000 mile duramax, it just simply needs replaced.

The ford’s are interesting to me because of the new aluminum body, it won’t rust. I want to hear some reviews of the 6.2 v8 gas engine (we will not be buying a diesel) and also of overall truck characteristics, how it hauls, how does it plow, etc.

If anyone wants to chime in please doThumbs Up

Thanks in advance guys!!

· Registered
1,189 Posts
My 2017 has treated me fairly well. Some electrical gremlins but not much of a problem. 6.2 is great for what I use it for. I would definitely want the diesel for hauling anything heavy.

Not sure why these new trucks have to sit so tall. Irritating getting stuff outta the bed or even getting in. And Im 6'-3". It sits as high as many lifted trucks.

· Registered
18 Posts
I have nine F350 SRW & DRW with 6.2 gas. I too got rid of a bunch of GM & Ford Diesels and don’t miss them nor the huge expenses that go along with them. The 6.2 gas hauls our skid steers, six of them have dump or rack bodies and they are fine. Most of my 17 trucks are 2015 or newer but I have 2012 and 2014 with no issues. We run Fisher 9.5 Extreme Vee on most and a couple with XLS and Ebling rear plows on the pick-ups. No maintenance issues not caused by my drivers

· Registered
6,180 Posts
17’ F250 6.2L I love this truck! Hauled my skid steer salt bags blowers around with ease in the snow. My stock Michelin’s suck, but everything else is great. 6.2 will do everything you are wanting to do with no problem. First Ford after 13 Chevy Dumps/pickups and I’m very happy I did.

· Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yesterday while at the ford dealership I noticed in the XLT models they have a rear view camera as well as what I would describe a birds eye view of the truck when you are in reverse. How well is that in the snow? Does it work off satellite or are there cameras around the truck? The “salesman” didn’t seem very knowledgeable, imagine that :rolleyes:

· Registered
1,267 Posts
Got 21K on my 18 F350, long bed, 6.2. The rev limiter kicks in at 98. There's a disconnect with the fly by wire throttle, it's a pain in the winter when you need to drop the hammer and let back off, the engine will stay reved up way longer than you want it to so your wheels are spinning ( traction control turned off) Trouble free so far, ride is good until you have a ton or more in the bed, the temps are -10F or colder and you hit a bump, the truck bottoms out against the yellow bump stops and they are like concrete. Very jarring, I had to reach under and slice off half of them with a sawz-all mid trip. The newer tilt steering wheel system is a poor update compared to my 2010. The old one had knuckle in the middle that allowed the wheel to hinge down and the wheel stayed plumb. New ones pivot way back inside the collum and dosent go as low, less comfortable on long trips. My 2cent.

· Registered
7,918 Posts
Not sure why these new trucks have to sit so tall. Irritating getting stuff outta the bed or even getting in. And Im 6'-3". It sits as high as many lifted trucks.
If they sat any lower, think how much Squatchy would have to bend to get stuff out....not good for his back and knees! ;)

NYH1.

Reactions: BUFF

· Super Moderator
43,555 Posts
I don't. Not even in summer. 60mph probably at most.
In my part of the country a 6.2l gas is not something you want to pull much weight with at hiway speeds, they suck in the mtns and long pulls. I've been driving diesel pickups since '92 and went to a gas motor which I regret every time I pull a trailer, fuel mileage sucks and it struggles with loads more than 10k. I'm going back to diesel next time.

· Registered
8,073 Posts
In my part of the country a 6.2l gas is not something you want to pull much weight with at hiway speeds, they suck in the mtns and long pulls. I've been driving diesel pickups since '92 and went to a gas motor which I regret every time I pull a trailer, fuel mileage sucks and it struggles with loads more than 10k. I'm going back to diesel next time.
Out west I would struggle to be ok with a gas engine. Between the grades and elevation I can imagine it's not very enjoyable to tow with one there.

· Registered
66 Posts
Tire Wheel Snow Car Vehicle
17 f250 lariat with o issues with 45,000 use it to plow and was using for my plumbing service vehicle but just bought a van for that !! I have the factory 20" Michelin's and they were great in the snow just swapped them for bfg ko2 only because they were starting to hydro plain in rain love the truck I have a fisher xb2 s.s. V plow love it

Reactions: shawn_

· Registered
6,180 Posts
View attachment 189355 17 f250 lariat with o issues with 45,000 use it to plow and was using for my plumbing service vehicle but just bought a van for that !! I have the factory 20" Michelin's and they were great in the snow just swapped them for bfg ko2 only because they were starting to hydro plain in rain love the truck I have a fisher xb2 s.s. V plow love it
The 20" Mich's suck bad in the snow! I can't believe you thought they were great. The BFG's are so much better.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.