2015 Ram 1500 Boss HTX light issues

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Tglrw, Jan 12, 2020.

1. Tglrw

Tglrw Junior Member
    from MN

I'm new to the group and searched high and low for someone with a boss on a 2015+ ram 1500. I have a boss HTX V. Truck carries it great. One issue is the boss dealer said they couldn't get the plow lights to work without throwing a code, code would note the headlights are out. I told them to leave me without plow lights until I figure out a solution. Supposedly if the plow lights share the circuit with the headlights this will happen. Is there a way to hook up the plow lights to a spare fuse for power? In the cab you turn them in and off anyhow with the small rocker switch. No idea how to do that but I have a hunch with these htx and 1/2 ton plows becoming more common it'll be helpful feedback for many.

2. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

New install? If so the dealer needs to fix it. Since they released the pickup to you after the install you’ll probably need to be persistent and possibly a wanker to get it done depending on they dealer.
    You can always call or email Boss if the dealer gives you the run around.

3. cwren2472

cwren2472 PlowSite Fanatic

Did the dealer install this? If so, did they nOt realize that the plow wasnt compatible with that truck?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
    BUFF likes this.
  4. cwren2472

Basically, you need a 3 position on-off-on toggle switch. Power will come in then go out to the wires labeled blue w/ yellow and red w/yellow from the relays. The white w/yellow will get grounded. The rest of the wires at those relays you can just leave alone and not touch the plow switch or you can strip the headlight harness entirely and put it back to stock. You'll need to turn the truck lights off manually when you use the plow lights

Screenshot_20200112-081538.jpg

BUFF likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Tglrw

Tglrw Junior Member
    from MN

Yes, new install but technically a boss isn't compatible with 2012+ ram 1500, hence the issue. When I talked to boss they said buy a mount for 2012 (it's the same) and then the wiring harness you'll have to figure out as it will not work with that headlight setup. Something to that effect. So the dealer knew as I told them and then the install guys did everything right but had enough experience to say, "do you want a code flashing all the time just to have the plow lights work?". I said no, that's annoying, there has to be a better way. I think the below replies are the ticket though.

6. OP
    OP
    Tglrw

Tglrw Junior Member
    from MN

They did know, and I know as well. Some ppl say ram says not to use a plow because of power steering issues (electric) but when I talked to boss directly it was more about the wiring harness it seemed and I figured that could be remedied.

7. OP
    OP
    Tglrw

Tglrw Junior Member
    from MN

This is exactly what I was thinking, power it separately from the truck lights-- and switch everything manually. It is essentially like running aftermarket add on LED pods... Thank you very much for this! Do you know the site or link for that wiring diagram?

8. cwren2472

Not offhand. Its saved on my phone. Its readily available on the Boss website though under Tech Support

Tglrw likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    Tglrw

Tglrw Junior Member
    from MN

Thank you!