Snow Plowing Forum banner

2015 GMC 2500 Head lights

3K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Kevin_NJ 
#1 ·
Anyone else think that the head lights seem dim at night, especially dims. Have been reading reports on this issue. Sounds like there maybe a upgrade kit. Anyone heard anything on this or kit?

#2 ·
I thought that ever since i got it brand new. I first thought it was just me since my 2004 duramax has hids in it. Im always checking to make sure there on. I think that on mine , the rake of the truck unloaded seems to point them towards the ground more. Going to be getting a leveling kit so im thinking that might help some. Did you see a technical bulletin on it or something?

#3 ·
There is an internal TSB (possible I have the wrong term) on this, you have to complain about it to your dealer, and your dealer has to find it. The "upgrade" consists of different brand bulbs and a flash of the BCM to increase the voltage.
I had it done with marginal results. To be fair, they did the BCM first as the bulbs were on national backorder, so I never saw the comparison day before, day after kind of thing.
I'm still rather disappointed with the output. This is my first GMC, and night visibility is much worse than my 07 Dodge or my wife's 07 Jeep. I've seen people comment that their older (2000-2010 for example) truck had better lights than the 2015.

#4 ·
#PIT5374B: Headlight Performance (BCM Calibration and Bulbs) - (Jun 15, 2015)

Subject: Headlight Performance (BCM Calibration and Bulbs)

Models: 2015 GMC Sierra

2014 GMC Sierra 1500

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.
Condition/Concern

Some customers may comment of poor headlight performance when driving in very dark rural areas. While the headlights meet all FMVSS (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard) requirements and CMVSS (Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standard) requirements, customers may request better headlight performance for these very dark rural areas.

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/175886-headlights-on-2015-2500hd-update-kit/

#5 ·
Yes, the GMC headlamps suck. If your truck was built after March or April (somewhere around there) it already has the recalibrated BCM from the factory.

You have to complain to the dealer for the upgraded bulbs. Have the TSB number Charlie posted handy when you go.

They're a lot better than the originals, but they're nowhere near what they should be.

GM went for style over functionality on the GMC headlights. The Chevy's are a lot better.

#6 ·
while i agree the lights seem dimmer then other trucks. i think the issue is alignment. first i think they are pointed down a bit too far because when you load up the bed or attach a trailer the angle changes and it gets better. the other issue i have is that the lights seem to point a little too far to the left but there is no side to side adjustment. my $.02

#7 ·
My 2015 25HD SLT headlights have NO side of the road lit up, thought the fog lamps on help, but the fog lamps auto shut off when hi-beam is selected ... when turning down a dark street, like a 90 degrees turn, your driving into a DARK spot, blinded by the forward front facing headlamps that don't light up the sides at all.

I have no compliant about the forward directed headlight brightness - for the most part - my 2011 25HD SLT did have better headlights for sure

#8 ·
bolake;2074309 said:
Anyone else think that the head lights seem dim at night, especially dims. Have been reading reports on this issue. Sounds like there maybe a upgrade kit. Anyone heard anything on this or kit?
Contacted GM service where I bought truck from, mine goes in Monday for new up grade bulbs.

#11 ·
I have felt the same way about my '11 since I got it. I always thought that it was just me getting older. I have been putting a bunch of $$ into other upgrades to the truck and the lights are a bit lower on the list since the fogs do help. There is a simple way to add a jumper so that the fogs always come on.
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/71...-fog-all-mod-write-up-w-pics.html#post4232485
I just have not had time to wire this so I hit the switch at night. If we continue with this lack of snow winter (NO complaints BTW....I am LOVING it) then I should have time soon enough.

#12 ·
George C;2079098 said:
Do yourself a favor, buy the Morimoto HID kit and get it over with...

http://www.vleds.com/h11-morimoto-elite-hid-system.html
No issues with these and a Plow? I assume the wiring would be factory harness >Plow adapter>hid adapter>hid lights?

I'm running a BOSS on a 2015 GMC 2500HD.

I had the update done as per the PIT and it improved some, but not great. It'd really evident just how poor they are now that I've installed a pair of Rigid SAE Fogs, they provide as much coverage as the factory headlights, with of course a much "whiter" light.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.