1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2014-2015 Chevy/ GMC 1500 1/2 ton plow selection help

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by coke813, Aug 24, 2015.

1. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Am I missing something here? Is your question basically asking if the truck will look pretty with the valance cut or if you have to cut it? If you're using your truck to make money the point is mute.

dieselss likes this.
  2. pipe76

pipe76 Junior Member
    from 06278

Yes, you are missing something, I was simply asking which plow receiver allows for the most clearance. I'm not using the truck to make money actually, just personal plowing.

3. coke813

coke813 Senior Member

the Boss bumper plastic filler piece covers everything you don't need to actually touch the plow.

I don't know if i would go for a heavier plow. look at the weight of the plow you are considering and figure out your front axle weight rating. I think with the HTS I'm right up to the max. Granted, the truck handles it just fine, but if you put another 300 pounds off the front end, you are just stressing everything that much more. It depends how careful you want to treat your baby. Mine is still "new to me" so I'm pretty careful.

What type of plowing are you doing? I currently do 2 rural driveways. no issues at all with my HTS. right before Christmas I even had to bust through a 4' high drift. worked like a charm.

4. coke813

coke813 Senior Member

hands down the western gives you the most clearance. with the receivers removed you have full clearance as if there is no mount on your truck.

The boss mount hangs down forever to hit on curb stops and rocks and whatever else you drive over.

Sawboy likes this.
  5. Cosmic Charlie

Cosmic Charlie Senior Member

My 2015 HD 25 Fisher MM2 is snug to to the under carriage IMG_1008.JPG IMG_1009.JPG - as you can see ...

6. mikey4v

mikey4v Junior Member

I have a 2016 double cab with a western hts and I wish I would've went with the midweight the bumper had to be trimmed,and theres plenty of clearance with my leveling kit

7. pipe76

pipe76 Junior Member
    from 06278

Thank you all for the feedback, Mikey4v, do you have any pictures of your setup? The midweight is designed for the half ton also and is only 300$ more. Its chain vs piston lift and pivots better for uneven surfaces I'm told.

8. coke813

coke813 Senior Member

The midweight is also 130 lbs more than HTS. Not outrageous, but I'm still willing to bet that will push your weight over your FAWR. Did you investigate this at all? It will be close enough that you can get by, but as I said before, I don't want to abuse my "new" truck that much just to plow 2 driveways.

I do sympathize with the swiveling of the blade. There is one spot I always dug in with the corner because the HTS doesn't swivel. Not too bad, now that I am aware of it and can work around it.

I was worried about the direct lift instead of the chain and there is only a slight decrease in the height of my stacking ability. (lets say I could stack 5' high with my old western unimount and now its more like 4'.) Again, not a big deal for me, but something you should be aware of.

Overall I'm happy with my HTS. If it won't meet your needs, I guess I just wonder if your 1500 truck is enough either. Only you can make that decision and you have to live with it, so good luck.

9. mikey4v

mikey4v Junior Member

Pipe76 I'm still trying to figure out how add pictures from my phone up here lol.... As far.as the swiveling goes I'm already starting to see uneven wear of my cutting edge so there's just one more reason why I wish I would've went with the midweight, I also split 55 contracts with one other guy kind of alot for a half ton with an hts but I lease it so oh well lol

10. Cosmic Charlie

Cosmic Charlie Senior Member

pix - send pix to your email and save them in your home computer library, or send pix to an image saving site like imgur, then here click "Upload a File", then click browse and find and select ...

11. pipe76

pipe76 Junior Member
    from 06278

coke813, Either of the plows would be fine for me really, I just feel like for a small amount of money more I can get a better plow. I will be only doing my paved 400ft driveway and my fathers 150ft gravel driveway and occasional driveway here and there for friends when they aren't around. I would have loved to get a 2500, and someday will, but in the meantime this truck is my daily driver so gas milage was a factor.

12. pipe76

pipe76 Junior Member
    from 06278

mikey4v how's the plow holding up with that much work?

13. mikey4v

mikey4v Junior Member

It's good also very light year for us where I'm at I'm still disappointed I didn't go with the midweight but it's holding up good for now

pipe76 likes this.