Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 06 has no power at the factory trailer plug. Fuses that I am aware of have all checked out good. Does anyone have a link for a wiring diagram for the trailer wiring harness?

·
Registered
13,882 Posts
My 06 has no power at the factory trailer plug. Fuses that I am aware of have all checked out good. Does anyone have a link for a wiring diagram for the trailer wiring harness?
There's a junction box thingy behind the rear frame cross member. Check there for corrosion. I think everything (tail lights, trailer lights, etc) plugs and plays from there.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no power for what function? Any of them?
Correct.

There's a junction box thingy behind the rear frame cross member. Check there for corrosion. I think everything (tail lights, trailer lights, etc) plugs and plays from there.
Ill double check there. I know all truck related rear lights are working. Nothing trailer wise is.

·
Registered
4,834 Posts
Do you have the owner manual?
I seem to remember trailer fuses under the hood also in the one by the left under the dash.
Too lazy to look right now, but I think you are correct. I had to jumper a couple fuses in the box at the dash, but I'm pretty sure that the trailer lights fuse(s) are under the hood on my 2001. My brother's 2012 definitely has the trailer fuses under the hood. I had a trailer-side intermittent wiring short that would pop the fuse and it took me a month to find (using both vehicles to tow) and was regularly replacing those fuses in both trucks for that month.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Some trucks do need an under-the-hood connection of wiring to activate the 12V trailer power feed and the trailer brake controller power input feed. This process is outlined and illustrated in the linked article, in the section titled "Finalizing Connections for the Brake Controller".

The ring terminal for the 12-volt power lead for the 7-way trailer connector is located to the left of the power distribution box. It is taped to a wire harness under the power brake booster. Cut the tape to release it from the harness. Then run the wire to the front of the power distribution box and hook the ring on the right post (M8 stud).

middle of page -> https://www.etrailer.com/faq-brake-control-gmc-sierra-chevy-silverado.aspx

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was able to get the turn signals and break lights working. Found a couple broken wires. I don't have tail lights yet and I don't feel that the trailer brake is working. Previous owner installed a break controller and replaced the dummy fuse with a working fuse.

·
Registered
13,882 Posts
I was able to get the turn signals and break lights working. Found a couple broken wires. I don't have tail lights yet and I don't feel that the trailer brake is working. Previous owner installed a break controller and replaced the dummy fuse with a working fuse.
Have you cleaned all of the connections in the plug?
A little corrosion in there can create problems. It might be worth replacing it.
If the previous owner installed the brake controller, it might draw power from the fuse panel under the dash.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts