Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to do a crank relearn on my 06 GMC. Have a friend's SnapOn Solarus scanner to do it. I plugged the scanner in and did what it said the prompts told me to do. The scanner kept saying "Waiting for fuel cutoff" or "Waiting for max RPM", I don't remember which. Anyone have experience doing a crank relearn on a 6.0 with the SnapOn scanner?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Crank sensor relearn? I don’t know what you’re talking about.

What did you change?

Yes, I have experience. Been a mechanic for twenty five years. I have snap on scanner too. Just don’t understand what you’re trying to do.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have an issue where the T/C randomly will unlock at highway speed and then a short time later relock. It does this multiple times cruising with the cruise set etc. I asked about this on a couple GM facebook groups. Several replies were that the truck was detecting a misfire and unlocking the T/C. They recommended doing a crank relearn.

I'm trying to do one with the SnapOn scanner but apparently I'm not doing it right.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Ok….
I know what you’re trying to do now. It isn’t going to fix it. That’s not the issue. But since you have a scanner, just look at the misfire counter and see if you have a misfire. If you do, tune it up using ONLY the OEM spark plugs. Don’t use a different brand, or a different type, use only AC Delco (platinum or iridium, whichever it came with originally) original number plugs. Use a good wire set like Omni, Delco, Borg Warner ect. No “economy” cheap wires. That should take care of a misfire if you do really have one. If you don’t see any misfires in the counter, then don’t bother with it.

More than likely you’re losing pressure in the lockup circuit for the converter. 80’s are known for lock-up problems. When I rebuild 80’s they get a Trans go or a Sonnax kit installed to eliminate the problem. I haven’t done an 80 for a few years now because they’re getting old, so I’m a bit fuzzy on them, but I’m pretty certain they used a PWM solenoid on a 2 or 3 stage pickup converter.

That scanner is capable of seeing all the data you need to diagnose it, but only if you know what you’re looking for and how to use the tool.

How many miles on the truck? Last trans fluid change?

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
119K. I put new delco plugs and wires in it along with a new tranny filter and fluid within the last thousand miles. Scan tool shows a misfire on cylinder #1

·
Registered
72 Posts
119K. I put new delco plugs and wires in it along with a new tranny filter and fluid within the last thousand miles. Scan tool shows a misfire on cylinder #1
A hard misfire? At idle? How many misses in the counter? Two sets of data on the misfire counter: Miss history and a running count that resets the very so many revolutions.

If it has new plugs and wires and a hard misfire, as in several thousand on the counter, reset the counter and go for a test drive and watch it. The counter may have misses stored from before the tune up. Verify a misfire.

Any other stored codes?

BTW, 119k on an 06 is silly low miles.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not sure on the misfire counter. I'll have to hook the scanner back up and look. Stored codes are as follows:
p0455
P0125
P0171
P0301
P0420

C0040
C0161

B2722
B2575
Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Vehicle Car

Thanks. I'm the second owner. Bought it this past spring. I've done a few upgrades(wheels, tires, all new lenses etc) Came with the flex fleet mount, wiring and controller. found the V for 2K.

·
Registered
369 Posts

What did you change?

Yes, I have experience. Been a mechanic for twenty five years. I have snap on scanner too. Just don’t understand what you’re trying to do.

25 years and you're not aware of the crank sensor relearn on this particular series of trucks. Surely you know what he's talking about.

For random misfires and the like, the crank relearn often fixes the flashing service engine soon light. As these trucks get older the timing chains stretch a bit and sometimes a simple scan tool can fix a SEL.

In the OP's case, i'm not sure it's the fix as his symptoms are not as closely related as random misfires and p0300 codes on these GM vehicles. Sometimes you have to first fix certain codes before it will let you do the relearn.

I actually bought a $150 scan tool on amazon awhile back that has the relearn feature. IF you can't get it to work on your end, take it to a shop they typically won't charge much for the crank relearn, but again, if they can't do it due to prevoius code issues then they'll have to fix those first.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm not sure on the misfire counter. I'll have to hook the scanner back up and look. Stored codes are as follows:

p0455 Mass air flow circuit out of range
P0125 EVAP system leak
P0171Fuel system too lean bank 1
P0301 cylinder 1 misfire detected
P0420 catalyst efficiency low bank 1

C0040 Right front wheel speed sensor circuit fault
C0161 ABS/TCS Brake switch circuit fault

B2722 Transmission preference switch circuit low
B2575 Headlamp control circuit malfunction

View attachment 258489

Thanks. I'm the second owner. Bought it this past spring. I've done a few upgrades(wheels, tires, all new lenses etc) Came with the flex fleet mount, wiring and controller. found the V for 2K.

·
Registered
72 Posts
25 years and you're not aware of the crank sensor relearn on this particular series of trucks. Surely you know what he's talking about.

For random misfires and the like, the crank relearn often fixes the flashing service engine soon light. As these trucks get older the timing chains stretch a bit and sometimes a simple scan tool can fix a SEL.

In the OP's case, i'm not sure it's the fix as his symptoms are not as closely related as random misfires and p0300 codes on these GM vehicles. Sometimes you have to first fix certain codes before it will let you do the relearn.

I actually bought a $150 scan tool on amazon awhile back that has the relearn feature. IF you can't get it to work on your end, take it to a shop they typically won't charge much for the crank relearn, but again, if they can't do it due to prevoius code issues then they'll have to fix those first.
Ah, rippinryno. The guy who knows everything and nothing. Can’t figure out a simple exhaust issue, but wants to pretend he knows a lot about engine problems. I’m not even going to bother with you.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Uh oh, feelings got hurt.
I want to apologize, that wasn't my intent.

Trying to do a crank relearn on my 06 GMC.
Just don’t understand what you’re trying to do.
Again, he's trying to do the crank sensor relearn. It was very spelled out from the beginning.

Why are you attacking me for helping the guy out. I just did this not long ago on a similar truck, so it's a little fresh.

·
Registered
72 Posts
@William B.
Are those stored codes? Or current codes?

Forget the C codes. Those are irrelevant, and related to each other

Need to know if that cylinder one misfire is current. Lean bank one and cylinder misfire on 1 along with a catalyst deficiency code makes me think injector.

Have to know if any of those are current or stored. Like the MAF code. That could have came from starting the engine with it unplugged. It will run without the MAF.

I’m going to encourage you to take it to a shop. Unless you really know how to read the data and put it together with the codes, this is going to be difficult at best to do over an internet thread. Given each of the codes, it is possible that you have an engine issue causing the converter to unlock. But typically a crankshaft/camshaft correlation issue shows up as a random cylinder misfire, not on one cylinder as you have.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Uh oh, feelings got hurt.
I want to apologize, that wasn't my intent.

Are you now attacking my thread that is talking about the exhaust hitting the axle? I figured it out after i hit a couple bumps so I think I found that issue pretty dang quick, but thanks for the opinion.

The OP mentioned crank relearn and your response was "i don't know what you're talking about I have 25 years experience".

I wanted to share that crank relearn is a common and simple procedure and especially on his model year pickup. When you responded by "i don't know what you're talking about", it sounded like you weren't familiar with the process at all or that it existed. If this offended you...I apologize, but really no need to attack me simply because you are ignorant to the information.

Please do not bother if you're not going to stick to the topic, the idea is to help the OP, not attack people who give information in regards to what the topic is about.
I know who you are. I’m not interested in debating with you.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@William B.
Are those stored codes? Or current codes?

Forget the C codes. Those are irrelevant, and related to each other

Need to know if that cylinder one misfire is current. Lean bank one and cylinder misfire on 1 along with a catalyst deficiency code makes me think injector.

Have to know if any of those are current or stored. Like the MAF code. That could have came from starting the engine with it unplugged. It will run without the MAF.

I’m going to encourage you to take it to a shop. Unless you really know how to read the data and put it together with the codes, this is going to be difficult at best to do over an internet thread. Given each of the codes, it is possible that you have an engine issue causing the converter to unlock. But typically a crankshaft/camshaft correlation issue shows up as a random cylinder misfire, not on one cylinder as you have.
There is no check engine light on for any of these or anything.

·
Registered
72 Posts
There is no check engine light on for any of these or anything.
Then they aren’t active. I’d just clear them out, check to see if you have any active misfires, and watch the trans data to see if it’s giving a lock up command, but is losing pressure. I think you’re going to have to dig into the trans to fix your problem. Not necessarily rebuild it, but fix it. Depending on the root cause, the valve body and likely the pump will have to come out to correct it, along with replacing the converter. Might be able to fix just the valve body, but more than likely the pump will have to come out too.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Then they aren’t active. I’d just clear them out, check to see if you have any active misfires, and watch the trans data to see if it’s giving a lock up command, but is losing pressure. I think you’re going to have to dig into the trans to fix your problem. Not necessarily rebuild it, but fix it. Depending on the root cause, the valve body and likely the pump will have to come out to correct it, along with replacing the converter. Might be able to fix just the valve body, but more than likely the pump will have to come out too.
That doesn't give me warm fuzzy feelings.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Crank sensor relearn can sometimes help with strange problems and drive-ability issues.
My recommended way- .obtain a quality scan tool. Clear all codes. Then unhook battery for 30 minutes, this will clear out the adaptive memory. Hook up scanner, go to the relearn procedure, follow instructions-- start engine, warm up to operating temperature, if not already, then you have to raise the ROM's up, till the pcm turns on the fuel cutoff. On some engines/vehicles, this can be as high as 4,000 rpm, or more, like on a vette. Will leave a bit of info, but they miss the code clearing, which I was taught to do by GM, things go smoother.
Now, before just "throwing parts" at a vehicle, the proper way is- with your quality scan tool, make sure all codes are clear. If one/some do not, then you probably have a hard failure of a part,or wiring. This/these must be fixed before continuing. Then do a road test, see what codes reset. Make sure you always write down all codes, all the time,every time before you clear them. People forget stuff, and the history can help a quality mechanic if you do not solve your problems. So, a code pops up, you can easily search the net to see what it means, and, as you still have the scan tool, you can actually watch live data pertaining to the error code, on a road test.
Or, you could take it to a good driveability shop, pay 100 bucks for just a road test with scan, and their recommendations will follow.

Connect a scanner to make sure there are no trouble codes stored in the computer’s memory.

If there is any power train trouble code other than P1336 (Crankshaft Position Variation not learned), the computer will disable the relearn function until the problem that caused the code has been eliminated.

Also, make sure that the engine coolant (check it when the engine is cold) and oil levels are at an acceptable level.

1. Set the parking brake and block the drive wheels. Make sure that the hood is closed.

2. Start the engine and make sure that the engine coolant temperature is at least 158 degrees F. (70 degrees C.)

3. Turn the engine off for at least 10 seconds.

4. Select the crankshaft position variation learn procedure (CASE Learn)on your scanner.

5. Make sure that the transmission is in Park. Start the engine.

6. Apply the brakes and hold the pedal firmly.

7. Follow the scanner instructions.

Remember: That you are going to increase the engine speed to approximately 3000 RPM, 4000 RPM, or 5150 RPM. That’s the variation learn fuel cutoff RPM (depending upon the engine), and that it’s important to release the throttle when the engine RPM starts to decrease as a result of the fuel cutoff going into effect. Failure to do such will result in over revving of the engine, causing possible engine damage.

8. Once the engine has returned to idle, check the status of Diagnostic trouble code P1336. If the scanner indicates that the CASE has been learned, the relearn procedure is now complete. If CASE has not been learned, check for the presence of other power train codes. If any exist, correct the problem, then repeat this procedure.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Good info Mountain and the procedure can be tricky which is why I had read the same of what you posted prior to doing it.

I will say that without having this in front of me with a scan tool there isn't much we can do, but i would say that a trans issue is likely not the cause of the problem.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts