Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’m looking to upgrade to a newer truck. Currently have a 2006 2500HD Silverado crew can 6.5’ bed. And it’s only available with a 4800 front end. Plow is a Western 8.5 pro plus with wings. For 9’ total.

I’m looking at a 2017 gmc 2500HD crew cab 6.5’ bed. And most of the trucks I’m finding have 4800lbs front ends. When I go to the western truck match is says I should only have a 8’ plow plus on it max. What gives? Why would a new truck with the same front gross vehicle weight say I shouldn’t put that big of a plow on it??? It’s not easy finding a used one with a bigger 5200lbs front end.

I’m not in a rush but it’s not a easy search to find the right truck. My plow is in great shape and it’s definitely going on the new truck.

· Premium Member
17,303 Posts
Short answer: the fgawr might be the same, but that doesn't mean the curb weight of the truck is. If the truck itself weighs more, then the plow has to weigh less.

Curb weight of the 06: 5147 - 6095.
17: 5985 - 6901

The weight difference between the 8' and your 8.5' is negligible but there isnt a gray area. The engineers come up with a number that is ok to hang off the front end and the plow is either above that number or below it. Does that mean that 20lbs extra will snap the front axle? Obviously not, but it does mean that should you encounter an issue, Chevy doesnt want to hear it and Western doesnt want to hear it.

· Registered
18,088 Posts
Short answer: the fgawr might be the same, but that doesn't mean the curb weight of the truck is. If the truck itself weighs more, then the plow has to weigh less.

Curb weight of the 06: 5147 - 6095.
17: 5985 - 6901

The weight difference between the 8' and your 8.5' is negligible but there isnt a gray area. The engineers come up with a number that is ok to hang off the front end and the plow is either above that number or below it. Does that mean that 20lbs extra will snap the front axle? Obviously not, but it does mean that should you encounter an issue, Chevy doesnt want to hear it and Western doesnt want to hear it.
Even shorter answer: Just run what you brung... it will be fine Thumbs Up

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.