2004 Silverado 2500 6.0 .... plow truck?

Cateye04

I’m looking at buying a 2004 Silverado 2500 with a 6.0 as a plow truck and to pull cars from auctions. Will this do the job or do I need a Duramax/1-ton?

OP
C

Cateye04

That is my basic question. How capable is it however ? If I wanted to do commercial and residential plowing, would the front end hold up and it the 6.0 going to provide enough power?
Also, I currently have a 2004 Silverado 1500 with a 5.3, do I need to go to a 3/4 ton to do what I’m hoping to do this winter?

Philbilly2

PlowSite Fanatic
It was very capable in 2004... cant say how capable a 17 year old truck will be. Previous owner care varies quiet a bit.

Be careful on reverse. It is a very tall gear and will most likely be the thing to fail you if you are hard on it.

cwren2472

PlowSite Fanatic
That is my basic question. How capable is it however ? If I wanted to do commercial and residential plowing, would the front end hold up and it the 6.0 going to provide enough power?
Also, I currently have a 2004 Silverado 1500 with a 5.3, do I need to go to a 3/4 ton to do what I’m hoping to do this winter?

Depends on what you are hoping to do this winter.

There are 10 wheel trucks with 11' municipal plows doing your local highways. And there are people with 6.5' plows on the front of a Jeep Wrangler doing your local driveways. Both of those guys are "plowing" but it does not mean they are doing the same thing.

Hydromaster

PlowSite Fanatic
Plow with the 2500,
Don’t plow with the 1500 ,Use it to run for parts when the other truck/ plow breaks down.

EWSplow

PlowSite Fanatic
The 2500 HD with a 6.0 is very capable. It will break traction before running out of power.
I wouldn't buy one that has been plowing for 17 years, but putting an 800+# plow on it isn't a problem.
Mine has 230,000 miles and the engine is still strong.
Front suspension and steering parts will probably be your 1st replacements when using it for plowing.

STARSHIP

The truck and engine size would be adequate to do what you want to do. Like others mentioned, previous use/maintenance will determine what types of repairs are needed. Do remember that sometimes age, not just the miles, will determine some of the maintenance items. We do have many 6.0's and a couple of Duramax diesels. The Duramax does do better towing, and in many respects the plowing, but the 6.0's are just fine all around.

Kvston

Two Chevy 2500’s got my plow company started. 2003 and 2004 both with 6.0’s. Don’t buy a truck that already has a plow on it. Get one that hasn’t had a blade on it. To check look and see if the lower air dam is missing or cut, look where a plow frame would bolt on.

Try for the 4.10 rears. 3.73’s work but lack some guts with a sander on. Chevy made a good truck back then. Get a reliable mechanic, keep up on maintenance and check the trucks after each storm.

Top Forums