1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2003 ford f250 4x4 problems

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by UniqueTouch, Jan 8, 2017.

1. scottr

scottr Senior Member

If all you need are bearings, the parts are fairly cheep, the labor will be where your costs add up.
    No idea what the shop rates are in your area so hard for me to guess. I suspect it will be a 6-8 hr job for a shop. But that not based on experience, I've never hired anything like that out.

2. UniqueTouch

UniqueTouch Senior Member

lol no offense taking brother, i def, cant do it lol first to admit that, trying to figured out how much its gonna cost in total for parts and labor and how long they take to do something like that

3. scottr

scottr Senior Member

A ring and pinion set is under 600 bucks, another couple hundred for bearings. If you need it all. If the noise just started, you "may" be able to get by with just bearings.

4. scottr

scottr Senior Member

First things first, isolate/ troubleshoot where to noise is coming from

5. UniqueTouch

Ok will bring the truck home early tomorrow morning and start trying to trouble shoot it and will def be back on lol. thank you guys have a great night and be safe , be blessed, gnite

6. UniqueTouch

what weigh oil goes in transfer case?

7. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite Veteran

Look in your owners manual. Usually it's ATF.

8. UniqueTouch

k, i checked the shaft there was no play in it. going to top fluid and test it again

9. UniqueTouch

couldn't get the plug out. going to my cousins shop later, he doesn't have a lift but atleast its inside , Sucks i have no one i can trust to bring it to , to let me know exactly what the problem is.

10. ktfbgb

ktfbgb 2000 Club Member

If its stuck that bad soak it with WD40 or some kind of penetrating oil for a while before you take an impact to it.

11. UniqueTouch

yea sprayed the crap out of it going to attempt again in a little while

12. UniqueTouch

Changed the fluid , 4x4 works fine without the plow on it, it's a heavy plow, had a mechanic drive it obcousrse no noise when he drove it lol what else is new , but when plow is on it it makes that metal noise, also I hear a little whining noise , he told me it's gonna have to just break because he has no way of pin pointing. ? Lol unreal

13. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Inspect brake dust shields for sign of rubbing. How do they rotors look? Could be just enough play in hubs to allow the rotors to rub when plow is on.

14. UniqueTouch

Gotta check never did this when I had my other light duty plow, but to be honest first sign of this was when I was pulling my boat out of the water I needed two week drive and I hear a grinding noise

15. UniqueTouch

okay everyone this is the update on the truck, I replaced all the fluid in the rear and front diff and transfer case, hasn't done it yet. but the new problem as far as that whining noise still haven't figured it out. but my battery has been dying and I thought maybe the alternator does sound like its making noise right from there, and also when you first start the truck until it warms up it makes like a howling noise for a minute or so

16. SHAWZER

SHAWZER PlowSite.com Addict

Pull your belt off and spin everything . Should tell you if any bearings going south .

17. UniqueTouch

okay will do that tomorrow. I made a recording of the noise its about 30 seconds you can hear the motor throttling up and down by itself. also since this plow is so heavy when I raise the plow the height of the front end decreases majorly. I was thinking of adding the front air lift bags as a temporary fix to get through this season. anyone think that's okay to do ? figured its an easy install

18. UniqueTouch

really don't want to sell the truck because my father gave it to me. just figured now that I'm making pretty good money ill redo the whole thing this coming spring. just because of the sentimental value. has been a good ttruck until recently. would like to beef up transmission and put a new engine in there as well in the spring