1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2003 ford f250 4x4 problems

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by UniqueTouch, Jan 8, 2017.

1. UniqueTouch

UniqueTouch Senior Member

Hey guys more problems with my truck. Replaced locking hubs which helped a little but truck is making a whining noise in 4x4, does that seem like the transfer case to anyone? going to check tomorrow to see the fluid level. also last year the ground for the fuse panel which is mounted under hood rusted out and I had it replaced, but still every once in a while my truck just shuts off, I could be going slow or coming to stop and it kills the engine. restarts no problem. Trying to get this 4x4 and truck turning off buttoned up asap before next storm, don't want to get my new truck rigged up because its too nice lol. but stress of not being able to rely on this truck is killing me, any suggestions on what to do? really want to keep this truck my father bought it for me years ago and never want to get rid of it. no rust under it , transmission is rebuilt and a lot of other new parts. Thanks guy appreciate it more than you know, you guys save me so much stress and money god bless you guys.

2. ktfbgb

ktfbgb 2000 Club Member

When is the last time you changed the transfer case and front diff fluid?

3. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Any play in front pinon? If only makes noise in 4wd I would guess you have a bearing going bad. Wheel bearing would make noise all the time, u joint normally click when they go bad. As for transfer case most internals are spinning all the time but still worth checking fluid.

4. UniqueTouch

was supposed to be done last year when the they did the transmission but I don't believe they did it.

5. UniqueTouch

in two wheel drive everything seems good. no noises

6. kimber750

Grab driveshaft at front diff and try to move it up and down.

7. UniqueTouch

okay what if it moves and what if it doesn't? trucks at my church where I park it. will grab it tomorrow for sure

8. UniqueTouch

also when it is in 4 wheel, it used to just take off like a rocket through any about of snow, now it just doesn't have that same power if that's the right word

9. scottr

scottr Senior Member

If you have or can borrow, mount a GoPro next to the t-case and review, do the same for the front diff if you can't troubleshoot by driving. When in 4X4 can you feel the whining harmonics in the floor shifter ( presuming you have a manual style t-case )

10. kimber750

If it moves bearings are shot. If it doesn't pinon bearings should still be good. With transfer case in 2wd and hubs unlocked try to spin front driveshaft, should spin pretty easy.

11. scottr

scottr Senior Member

If the drive shaft ( next to the diff ) moves up / down, your pinion bearings are likely what your hearing, might be that your pinion nut loosened up or the diff got low on lube and your bearing (s) are failing. Either way it should be repaired asap

12. UniqueTouch

that ive done, ive had it jacked up and everthing spins good in 2 wheel and smooth and quiet and engages good, tomorrow morning I will check that out, I appreciate it guys I truly do, when I was younger I always wanted to learn but no one had the patients to teach me lol, wanted to just bang stuff out and get it done. there is a bearing place near me, do you think it if it is that since it just happened if there is no other damage , that that is something I can do it? its not going real deep into anything right? I do my brakes and rotors but that's the most ive really done myself. always afraid I'm going to put things back the wrong way but I guess if I take pictures

13. UniqueTouch

my truck has the 4x4 control on the dash and has the electric motor on the transfer case, and mile marker lock hubs which I bought a new pair so atleast when i do all that everything will be new. hopefully i can also find out what makes my truck turn off sometimes, I was thinking it was a ground somewhere

14. kimber750

Pinon bearings are not something I suggest trying if you are not sure how to do it. Need a press to get bearings off pinon. The carrier/diff needs removed. Everything needs to be shimmed properly.

15. UniqueTouch

okay I understand, hopefully i can get someone to do it right away for me, thank you very much, will keep you guys updated so hopefully in future this will help someone out like you guys always help me. I bought a 2016 ram 2500 diesel , debating if I'm better off just spending the money to have that professionally installed to get through the rest of the season and have the ford gone through and ready for next season lord willing I'm still in business lol

meyer22288 likes this.
  16. scottr

scottr Senior Member

image.jpeg Based on what your telling us, better have a shop do the work. I'm always in favor of anyone learning how to work on their own stuff, but you will need some experience for this. You basically will need to disassemble the entire front axle to pull the pinion and replace the bearings. Here's mine, lifting out diff / ring gear. Just to give you an idea.

17. UniqueTouch

holy sh*t lol , i definitely cant do that lol

18. UniqueTouch

do you remember how much the parts were for doing that , and the amount of hours that it takes in the book they always look up?

19. scottr

scottr Senior Member

image.jpeg Another, showing the pinion in the back. ( tool I have in there is for pressing the axle seals into place. )
    Not saying you can't do it, but research and know what's involved.
    You will need to set the bearing preload using shims on the pinion.

20. UniqueTouch

so the replacement parts are the diff ring and pinion if its that which I'm betting it is