Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

· Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to add a plow to my 04 1/2 ton GMC, just for my own driveway, not doing any commercial plowing. My old 2000 3/4 Chevy had an 8' Fisher MM1 which was a 3 wire...one for power, one for lighting and one for hydraulic control.

I've located a very nice and reasonably priced 7.5' MM2 plow, but its a 2 wire, I'm not sure if its possible to operate that on my specific truck, is it? I assume the lighting must run through the hydraulics connector, but can I buy truckside wiring that will work on my truck for a 2 wire plow?

Thanks in advance.

· Registered
1,172 Posts
Yes, you can get it on your truck. Assuming it is the newer style 2 plug wiring called fleetflex** - does it have a black plastic hood over the pump, and the light harness is standalone and other one for battery has 2 large pins to motor also has 2 small pins in the middle for total of 4 on that plug?

You didn't indicate whether your 2004 is already wired for a plow or not, and whether you still have your 2000 sitting around? Most of the wiring can be reused from the 2000 to the 2004 if you don't care about DRL, then you just need the 2 wires Ryan mentions above plus a 29175 adapter for the 4 port module. (Alternatively you could sell all of the 3 plug wiring off the 2000 and just get a 2 plug setup for the 2004 very easily).

Fisher also used an older 2 wire system up until about 2001/2002, which consisted of one plug for lights/controls and another for the main battery connection but not likely what you are looking at.

· Registered
1,172 Posts
True - I correct my statement. I'd suggest going that way not only because its cheaper, but its more reliable. I'm not a fan of the FF system.

For what its worth, you can also likely sell the fleetflex wiring you are taking off for a bit more than the 2 new parts will cost you.

· Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies. Let me answer a few questions and I've got some photos.

- 2000 pickup is gone, so I don't have access to any of those wiring resources.
- My 04 is not currently setup for a plow at all, so I'm starting from zero here.
- The plow is not for sale locally, I'll have to drive about 3 hours to review it directly, but its for sale for $500 and so far appears to be in very good condition...no idea on possible hidden issues to be fair. In my area this is a really good price for a 7.5' MM2 with intensifiers.
- I'll still need push plates, all the truck side wiring and a fishstick on top of the plow.
- I only see the two large power pins in the power plug (see photo), so I suspect that this particular plow is probably the older 2 wire setup referred to above.

Thoughts? I've got lots of time before winter but I have lots of other projects around the house and I don't want to back myself into the corner of buying a plow and mounting it in November either.

Automotive tire Wood Bumper Motor vehicle Vehicle

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Bicycle part Automotive exterior

Hand Automotive tire Automotive lighting Office equipment Rim

Motor vehicle Gas Automotive exterior Automotive tire Auto part

· Registered
1,172 Posts
I wouldn't call that 'very nice', but it is more than reasonably priced for sure.

Get a 3 plug setup for HB3/HB4 on your 2004, and a set of plates and you'll be good to go.
[EDIT: Figure roughly $600 for truck mounts and wiring, and another $150-200 if you want a fishstik or $100ish for regular joystick.]

· Premium Member
17,282 Posts
So, @mayhem - you've already concluded that you'll need all the vehicle side pieces, so the plow is going to cost you a lot more than $500 when you're done. That said, ASSUMING IT WORKS, you'd be hard pressed to complain about any plow less than 20 years old for that price.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.