1998 chevy 3500 mason dump question need help

UniqueTouch

PlowSite.com Addict
hey guys bought this dump. it used to have dual fuel tanks and now there Is only one tank. So when when your are full with diesel the gas guage only says half a tank. Is there anything that can be done to remedy this? thank you yall

OP
UniqueTouch

UniqueTouch

PlowSite.com Addict
lol I was thinking sharpie too. you know ill be running out of diesel here and there lol. Really wanna have it work right. I appreciate the help guys for real thank you

OP
UniqueTouch

UniqueTouch

PlowSite.com Addict
ok would I be able to just put another tank where the other one was. and ad a transfer pump and a fuel pump control module and run both again?

Philbilly2

PlowSite Fanatic
Not sure on a truck that old, but at least on the 99-07 body style, you can set the parameters on the sending unit in the ecm so it would read correct...

I used to do it with EFI live, which means you could change it with a tech 2.

Might be worth asking someone who knows their way around a tech 2

the Suburbanite

PlowSite Veteran
I really wanna be able to run both. under the bed on the driver side frame rail you can see the wiring harness plug that is unplugged

I wouldn't be surprised if you could splice/jumper the sender outputs from the remaining (in-use) tank into the unused one making both feeds read equally full. Not sure how both signals are processed, though

Philbilly2

PlowSite Fanatic
I wouldn't be surprised if you could splice/jumper the sender outputs from the remaining (in-use) tank into the unused one making both feeds read equally full. Not sure how both signals are processed, though

It reads rear tank first from full to around half then front tank from around half to empty.

So the way that it works is the pusher pump cycles every now and then to push the fuel from the rear tank up to the front tank...

So if he were to do that, it would always read full i believe?

Randall Ave

PlowSite Fanatic
Both tank sender's readings go to a module in the frame rail. This module sends the information to the fuel gauge, and it also controls the transfer fuel pump. He would have to get a wiring diagram. Then connect the sender wires to the module output wires to the gauge.

OP
UniqueTouch

UniqueTouch

PlowSite.com Addict
just raised the bed up both tanks are there but it is only using the tank closest to the cab. the rear tank has is just still there I just put a cap on it because they didn't even do that much

OP
UniqueTouch

UniqueTouch

PlowSite.com Addict
That’s a great idea about filling it , ima try working on it this weekend, does anyone know where to find a diagram for it 1998 Chevy 3500 dump? Also where is the lifter pump located

Top Forums