1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1997 Ram 1500 Sport 150k 318 Engine

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by A6A6, Oct 15, 2013.

1. A6A6

A6A6 Junior Member

Hello all. First time on this site. Enjoying lots of info. Got a question.
    Been eyeing up a 97 Ram 1500 with 318 motor and 8 ft angle blade.. wasn't sure if I can get enough torque out of this motor to run if we get hit with a heavy storm. It's a short bed with about 150k and new rebuilt tranny. Current owner asking 2500 and swears its a beast.. I'm not so sure... what yall think.
    This is my first year on my own so cost must stay down.....

2. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

That's why they put low range in the transfer case.

3. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

You don't have to worry about the motor having enough power. It does. The thing with half tons is the front suspension. Ball joints, wheel bearings, etc. $700 worth of front end parts on my 99 1500 at the end if last season. If u can do the work, don't let it stop you from buying it. Just check it out before you buy. May already need front end parts.

4. rjigto4oje

rjigto4oje PlowSite.com Addict

I have a 1500 an have plowed for 14 years with it I've got a buddy who has one with no plow hes had the same problems

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  5. A6A6

A6A6 Junior Member

I was actually thinking of upgrading front to a heavy duty spring... this possibly may help a bit.. when I use it without plow its ok but when plows mounted she just keeps bouncing.. any thoughts or tips on upgrading front end?

6. rjigto4oje

rjigto4oje PlowSite.com Addict

I used moog coil springs there wrapped tighter on the bottem i think they were called tuff coils use a h.d shock run e rated 10 ply tires that can hold 80 psi

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  7. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

I installed 3/4 ton springs last year. It helps with the weight of the plow. Keeps the front and higher when the plow is not on the ground. If you have alot of bouncing, its your shocks. Not the springs.

8. snowpro44

snowpro44 Member

yep..big different in the front end..you need the big springs!!and ball joints..

9. Meezer

Meezer Senior Member
    from Indiana

I would recommend getting a Dodge Ram 2500 & go from there.

10. A6A6

A6A6 Junior Member

Thanks for all the advice fellas... my situation has changed I went up to a 2001 Ram 2500 sport .. seems like s solid truck...

11. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Congrats and good luck. Oh, and pics or it didn't happen ;)

12. Meezer

Meezer Senior Member
    from Indiana

That they areThumbs Up

13. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Always buy a bigger truck than you need today. As a business they will grow and so will your work load. Better to buy the right truck off the get go than buying the first thing that comes available. Be patient like a6a6 and look like a pro.