1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1989 chevy k2500

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 03_2500hd, Apr 17, 2017.

1. 03_2500hd

03_2500hd Junior Member

Bought it and was sitting out of a field and it sat for almost 10 years. Put new brake lines, front calipers, pads, rotors, power steering lines, gas tank, seat, radiator hose, thermostat, and couple oil changes were done in the 14 miles that I've put on it. After running for 10-20 mins it starts to run rough. I've also put new plugs, wires, cap and rotor on and still does it, has the original fuel pump and rubber over the bad parts/rusty lines. The idle will fluctuate up and down and will sound like it will die sometimes. Any ideas? Possibly a vaccum leak? After 2 different oil pressure sending units, it still will go to 15lbs and eventually 0.

2. leolkfrm

leolkfrm 2000 Club Member

why did you change a tank and not do the pump and lines with new filter?
    what is oil pressure when you first start it? what weight and type of oil?
    it sounds like a closed loop issue, might be from lack of running varnish is in the system(from old gas)

FredG likes this.
  3. 03_2500hd

03_2500hd Junior Member

Oil pressure is about 15 when cold,and 0 when warm. Running 10w30 and tank leaked so erode with brand new 100 dollar one, why buy new pump when this one works fine.

4. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite Veteran

What engine? Guessing a 350. Remove the throttle body and check the gasket. They had a tendency to leak. The IAC valve could be sticking. Put a mechanical oil pressure gauge on it. You did replace the fuel filter in the frame? This is a very basic engine platform. If the oil pressure is that low the lifters could be collapsing when the oil is getting hot

FredG likes this.
  5. 03_2500hd

03_2500hd Junior Member

Yes, it's a 350 and no I didn't replace filter in frame, yet lol. I'll check into that.

6. leolkfrm

Are you using 10w-30 conventional oil?

7. 03_2500hd

03_2500hd Junior Member

Yes

8. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite Veteran

If it sat for that long, the oil pump pick up screen may be plugged up. First thing is a mechanical oil pressure gauge needs to be installed and see what you have.

FredG likes this.
  9. leolkfrm

thinking the pressure relief valve may be sticking on oil pump,

10. gmcdan

gmcdan Senior Member

There is a plastic sleve that attaches the oilpump to shaft that connects to the distributor . ive seen those fail and do what your describing . if you replace it get and aftermarket one thats all metal . you need to remove oil pan and pump to do it .

11. 03_2500hd

03_2500hd Junior Member

Ok, I have been planning to take tthe oil pan off, just been so busy with work.

12. FredG

FredG PlowSite Veteran

I had a ford I bought at auction years ago that was doing something similar. We found out the motor was sledged up from lack of oil changes. Just a thought I am not a mechanic. Good Luck

leolkfrm likes this.