Snow Plowing Forum banner

1986 Ford IDI Southern truck- okay to plow with?

3K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Randall Ave 
#1 ·
I'm new to plowing. I live in NH and i recently bought a 1986 ford idi 4x4 5 speed manual. I'm wondering if its okay to plow with. I have no idea what kind of plow could fit on it or even if i should plow with it. It only has 160k on it. 10k ago it had new transmission, clutch, all new gaskets, all new suspension, brakes, ect. It was in the process of being restored. It also has no rust at all. It's a southern truck from North Carolina. It still has the original paint on the frame. With all the new parts I'm assuming it would be okay to plow with, I just don't want it to get destroyed. The only downside is it has manual hub lock ins.

Any feedback would be great, thanks.

#3 ·
Sure you can use it.
Regardless if its a f150 0r a f250 and up.
It will easily handle your drive and the friends and family plan.

lock-outs are only a pain when you forget to turn them in.

#4 ·
SnoFarmer;2095773 said:
Sure you can use it.
Regardless if its a f150 0r a f250 and up.
It will easily handle your drive and the friends and family plan.

lock-outs are only a pain when you forget to turn them in.
X2, if it's for yourself it'll be fine, manual hubs are better than auto for plowing anyway

#8 ·
vanman237;2095835 said:
A few driveways here and there. I do have an opportunity to help plow large lots with my buddy.
I few drives I would say no problem.

Large lots with a manual is another thing. It gets old in a hurry. I compare it to driving manual in rush our traffic in LA or Chicago. Lots of left leg work!

There are guys that do it though. I personally don't think they are right in the head, but they are out there. :eek::laughing:

#9 ·
I gotta say don't do it. The truck is now 30 years old, rust free. Keep it that way, enjoy and have fun with it.

Old trucks are hard to find in real good condition and often times when you do find one they are not cheap to buy. I have an 85 Chevy K20 that I've rebuilt frame up, lifted with 35" tires, 1987 Texas cab that is just like it came out of the factory. I do have a Fisher 8'6 MM 2 plow on it but the truck is for emergency plowing only in case my other trucks are all broke down at the same time. And even still I don't want it in the road salt.

Just think, you could turn your F250 into this,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.