1979 Jimmy 2wd to 4wd

I am hoping someone can give me some advice. I have access to a 1979 Jimmy 4x4. There is surface rust and some perforation but no major damage. However, someone has removed the transfer case and associated parts and installed a different tranny and set it up as 2WD only. The truck still has the front axle and hubs but only rear wheel drive. Is it worth it to chase up a transfer case and adapter and transmission, and drive shafts. I'm kinda wondering at what it might cost. I can do all the mechanical work myself. What other parts might I have to reinstall. Yeah I know I can look in a shop manual but I was hopin for some first hand info.
Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jim

78JimmyTS

All I can say to this is....

If you plan on doing that, you're lucky it isn't a newer truck!!! You shouldn't have any trouble finding the parts. Just be prepared to do a gasket replacement, and get the transfer case from a wrecker you can take it back to if you get a dud. Beyond that, and I'm sure you already know this, make sure you get 'greasable' u-joints and check and see whether or not any 'modifications' were made that take any 'low-end' power out of the truck.

jimmy3(a).jpg

Top Forums