1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

12-19 live edge wing plow damaging new pavement

Discussion in 'METAL PLESS Snow Plows / Wing Plows / Box Plows' started by dodge2500, Dec 30, 2016.

1. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Just to make it clear I don't think the markings on the pavement are your fault. It's just an unskilled could careless operator can cause damage to pavement as I've seen it happen.

2. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

JD Dave likes this.
  3. dodge2500

dodge2500 Senior Member

Yes I agree float is float on a tractor. I agree wing plows don't run great in float as I always drop it down in float and then cheat it up some to transfer weight to front end. I forgot the older deeres also had float if you flipped the lever stop up and pushed the lever all the way forward. Been too long since I've been in an older one.

4. dodge2500

dodge2500 Senior Member

Thanks Dave. The only two guys that have run the machine are myself, I'm 33 and farmed all my life and have run everyThing under the sun, and the other guy is also same age and has worked for me since he was 16 and has also ran everything and is a very skilled operator. The wing plows take some gettIng used to but once we had the hang of it, it's been all good. I think the real kicker in this situation is we aren't seeing the markings at other places we plow and we didn't see it at this same place last year. Hoping I get this whole thing dealt with soon so both sides can move on.

5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

We actually have some inline limiting valves on some of our blades to slow down drop speed when float is used. We actually have a loader valves controller up/down and angle funtions. Wings are controlled by remotes one and two. The power float does look pretty cool in the link above but really can't see any need for it.

6. Aerospace Eng

Aerospace Eng Senior Member

I agree with the above posts that this is most likely a pavement problem.

A "Power Float" is basically a force bias. A traditional float connects both sides of the lift cylinder(s) so the weight of the blade is held up by the cutting edge or shoes. A "Power Float" basically keeps a constant pressure on the lift side of the cylinder. For example, it could be set to a pressure that would lift 2000 lb, in which case anything under 2000 lb would be lifted clear of the pavement, but something weighing 3000 lb would have 2000 lb held by the lift cylinder and 1000 lb on the cutting edge.

I came across them when I was doing some research for the airport. The blower the airport bought gouged the crappy FAA-spec pavement with the skid shoes of the blower head. We wound up shortening the chains so that the suspension doesn't unload much when the blower head is dropped, providing a force bias. That also helped with the traction of the blower as the front wheels had more traction.

On a tractor, where a low-tech solution isn't possible I might try a "Power Float" before casters.

In the simple system the power float mode is activated by a solenoid, wo you can get either a traditional float, or a reduced-load float. The speed-variable load relief in the more complex systems doesn't seem to me like it would have any application in anything other than highway plows.

JD Dave likes this.