Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We aren't too big on commercial sidewalks. We got a call to do 1,800 linear feet of 6' wide sidewalks. We had 8'' of snow, with an hour of rain towards the end of it, then temps dropped big time. Then it was left undone and walked on for five days. It's a big block of mostly ice. What would the best method be to get it back to bare walks? I'm also looking for help to price this job and also on a normal storm, what would be a good price to be at. Appreciate any help on this one.

· Registered
4,305 Posts
I would do the initial work time and material. Dump treated salt on it and let it work in for a while. Thats a 1/4 acre so even if you put it on really heavy its not a huge cost. I'd put it on an inch thick if need be! And then just keep removing what loosens up and then repeat. I don't know about regular pricing but if you do the initial clearing I think you would become very familiar with every foot of that sidewalk! Hard to estimate without the layout,where the snow would end up etc.Sometimes these jobs are better left to those who already have the best equipment for the job already in use especially if you aren't going to use it to its full. Maybe sub it out and avoid the start up cost of buying, maintaining specialized equipment. You've got spring like temps coming, that should help.

· Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would do the initial work time and material. Dump treated salt on it and let it work in for a while. Thats a 1/4 acre so even if you put it on really heavy its not a huge cost. I'd put it on an inch thick if need be! And then just keep removing what loosens up and then repeat. I don't know about regular pricing but if you do the initial clearing I think you would become very familiar with every foot of that sidewalk! Hard to estimate without the layout,where the snow would end up etc.Sometimes these jobs are better left to those who already have the best equipment for the job already in use especially if you aren't going to use it to its full. Maybe sub it out and avoid the start up cost of buying, maintaining specialized equipment. You've got spring like temps coming, that should help.
It's actually part of a new branch office. We currently do three of their facilities and this will soon be a new office. We only took on this because we want to get our foot in the door, and get the plowing contract for it, once the new facility is built.

· Registered
4,305 Posts
Also looking at what might be the best tool for the job. I'm thinking a power sweeper may be best suited and budget friendly
Sounds like a plan.I'm sure others with more experience will jump in. How's the layout ? is there room to blow/broom/plow the snow. That would be the key. I'm picturing a walk with building on one side and the street on the other side,nowhere to put snow. Might want to post the layout or a picture to help others help you.

· Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like a plan.I'm sure others with more experience will jump in. How's the layout ? is there room to blow/broom/plow the snow. That would be the key. I'm picturing a walk with building on one side and the street on the other side,nowhere to put snow. Might want to post the layout or a picture to help others help you.
Right now, they just tore down the existing structures and the property is empty, so snow placement isn't an issue. 1100' of it in the NE section has an aluminum fence on one side with about a foot of room to the walk. Then spaced trees/lightpoles on the other side, including some tight spots and 90 degree turns, with a current empty lot to push, blow, plow snow to. Once the property gets built, who knows how much room will be available on that side.

Daytime Nature Natural environment Land lot Architecture

· Registered
399 Posts
a broom, a walk behind epoke or bauman drop salter and a 2 stage snow blower for the biggies $8-10K equip all in and good for years other choices would be better but big $$

· Registered
7,368 Posts
Also looking at what might be the best tool for the job. I'm thinking a power sweeper may be best suited and budget friendly
Blower to start to get to the edges and plow ridges out of the way, then switch to broom.
Salt, then let it sit 3-4 hours before making your first pass. Re salt where needed after each pass and give the salt time to work between passes.

Reactions: Manx Man

· Registered
6,187 Posts
You could probably get it damn good with a skid steer and bucket. Rent one if you don’t have one. Then you could salt(treated)using less salt and hit it again in an hr or so. That’s the great part of 6’ wide walks.

· Registered
15,923 Posts
I would wait 36 hours for the big warm up

· Registered
20 Posts
One property we have has over 2700' of 54" walks. We use a 1445 Deere w/ 4' blower on front, and a Ventrac drop spreader on the rear. For your situation, I'd get any snow off, then coat it with IBG or something treated. Then come back with a heavy skid loader with a good bucket with a sharp cutting edge.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.