1/2 ton Dbl./Crew Cab Guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to hear from the guys plowing with 1500 Dbl/Crew Cabs. How well do they work for ya. I don't really want to beef up front end either.
I'm buying new 1500 and will plow 3-6 small drives. I'm buying a Western 7.5 Midweight probably. I would like to buy Dbl. Cab this time around instead of Reg. Cab. w/snow prep. pkg. Will I be disappointed over the Reg. Cab w/snow prep.?

SnoFarmer

Banned
You'll be disappointed with any 7.5 on any full size truck.
There great fer a jeep...but even then a 8 ft'er is a better idea.

Either way with a 1500, beefing up the front is a good idea.Thats why they made 2500's.

So your thinking of making some fast $ plowing a few drives or is this the family plan.

SnoFarmer

Banned
But it is,
Most of us prefer a plow that can clear a path wide enought for the truck.
But that's just us.

What do you need to hear, reassurances ?
yea the smaller truck will plow better....

Get what Ya want I guess as your only plowing a few pidely drives.

Good luck and enjoy your free help.
But some say you can't trust anything that is Posted on the net.

OP
Buckeye Chuck

Buckeye Chuck

I thought the width of plow had to do with width of truck, I didn't think 2 foot longer truck would make much difference, maybe so though. I was more concerned about the truck though. Guess that truck won't work without beefing it up. Was hoping trailer package would suffice.

OP
Buckeye Chuck

Buckeye Chuck

I have to check with dealer too, no warranty for putting a plow on it is definitely deal breaker.
Western recommended 7.5, I'll check with dealer on that too, never needed 8' and can't add more weight. I just do family drives not much turning not much of issue but appreciate thoughts.

Hoshiwaa15

If you only could get the 7 1/2 for warranty reasons I would add the wings after. Still have warranty and have an 8 1/2 plow. Not a Western fanatic so I'm not sure if you can mount wings on the Midweight or not, maybe others could chime in and confirm. Just an option I thought could benefit you both ways is all. Good luck!

JMHConstruction

PlowSite Fanatic
I would think your biggest issue, no matter what size plow, would be weigh. The extended/quad/crew weight more, and take away from payload. In addition, most 1/2 ton trucks have big engines now days which also add to the weight. Putting added plow weight to the front of a truck that already is being pushed to the max probably isn't the best idea. With that said there are a ton of half ton truck around here, but they're all older model trucks. I wouldn't want to beat the hell out of a new truck, but that's just my personal opinion.

As far as plow size, I have a crew cab short bed with a 8.5' plow and as wide as it takes to make turns I get pretty close to my windrows when I turn and the plow is angled. I would add wings to the shorter plows.

JustJeff

PlowSite Veteran
I don't know about getting a new half-ton with plow prep (although Ram has a half-ton commercial with a half-ton truck with a plow on it). But if you're just doing 3-6 driveways, I wouldn't worry too much about only having a 7'-6" plow. It would do fine. I wouldn't try commercial with it, but for what you want to use it for it would be just fine. And yes, with the crew cab, if you happened to be doing sharp turns, your rear end would be in the windrow. But how many of your drives have sharp turns (or any turns) in them?

OP
Buckeye Chuck

Buckeye Chuck

Right Jeff, once again, the plow isn't my worry just the truck. Want dbl cab but wondering if I have to go with another reg. cab. Was hoping tow pkg. would suffice. I'm going to talk with Chevy Dealer today and Western installer.

OP
Buckeye Chuck

Buckeye Chuck

I guess if I was determined to get dbl cab, I could go with lighter plow like the HTS or 6 cylinder, either lightens load and take ballast down to only few hundred pounds. For sure just do my drive and 2 siblings.

NoProblem

I plow with a 2014 Silverado Double Cab and a 7"6" blade. I only plow my own drive way and the drive way next door - all together, I cover somewhere just over a quarter mile of drive - nothing commercial or anything like that, but it does a professional job and works totally awesome for me. Some pics and info are on this link:
http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/top...-way-plow-on-a-2014-silverado-1500/?p=1495673

A lot more info is on this link but seems the pictures are all gone for some reason:
https://www.plowsite.com/threads/i-put-a-sno-way-plow-on-a-2014-silverado-1500.155939/

My truck does not have the plow prep package and my dealer told me that adding a plow does not void the warranty.

Just do it, you'll be glad you did.

Last edited:

SnoFarmer

Banned
sharp turns and residential drives seem to go together.

Every drive that has a turnaround has a sharp turn. or any time you have to push snow to the side or windrow.

either truck can easily handle a 8f plow,
now, before you get your stuff in a bunch....again.
look at the small weight difference between them.

You still wouldn't need hundred and hundreds of pounds as a counterweight, ballast inst doing mulch to counter act the weight hanging off front.
but the counterweight can take a lot of weight off of the fronted that you are concerned about not being able to take it.

Get the crew cab and the narrow plow...make sure you have a shovel and some sand...
and the # of a buddy whom can pull ya out.
happy plowing.

ps plow weight or the weight of 6 passengers, and i bet you dont add counterweight when all of the seats are full.

Last edited:

SnoFarmer

Banned
get the ceew cab and a long box, then you might want a 6 ft plow:dizzy:

your only have the plow on while you plow a hand full of drives,
unless you drive like Pat does you would be beating your prestigious truck. just take et off while your not plowing.

enjoy scraping up the packed snow from your own wheels.

might want to throw out some salt...

Philbilly2

PlowSite Fanatic
I have to check with dealer too, no warranty for putting a plow on it is definitely deal breaker.

I would personally look into this more before you go any further.

My knowledge is not great on brand new trucks, but for as many years as my brain allows me to remember, Chevy does not offer a plow prep in any option except a day cab long box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Forums