Snow Plowing Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts
I've had 2 of my 6.0s at my day job just die while going down the road. The first one the dealer diagnosed as a bad fuel pressure regulator on the hpop. They replaced and runs great now. The 2nd one had the same symptoms so I changed the fuel pressure regulator myself and had the same result. If your dealer has no luck, you could try that

todays egr,cat converted,particulate filtered,electronic heui or common rail injected,variable geometry turbo diesels do only 2 things well: make good power and run clean.all cost more to run than previous designs,none are more reliable,cummins,duramax,powerstroke,all have their expensive problems,all will croak you out of warranty,take this from a diesel shop owner who sees all of them every day,the best way to own one is new,extended warranty,get rid of it after warranty is out or buy gas.ask any out of warranty 6.0 or duramax owner who has had problems out of warranty.a 7.3 that isnt front fuel lines,oil pan or cooler rotted,knowing youll go for a set of injectors some day is as good as it gets for a modern diesel tied with pre egr cummins.

I have not seen my Baby at work for the last month. My 07 - 6.0 PSD Ambulance had the EGR go,Then a leak at the oil cooler, then a cracked oil line fitting on the injector's, now they tell me the engine popped the head gasket. The one I drive now has injector problems. The Mechanic's want to know how I know? Please I drive them 20k a year. I know when one has a problem.

Well once I have enough money saved up, Im buying a EGR delete. ARP headstuds in the future. Also you can beef up the hpop with better parts??? Iv also been reading the DIY EGR delete. Besides, I could not drive a dodge!!!! If it has a cummins well, its a brick of gold wrapped in crap. Its the internet, you will always hear of the bad things that happen to these trucks. Not the good ones that are out driving everyday with no problems.

Discussion starter · #25 ·
A new update:: I took the truck back to the dealer Friday because it won't restart when warmed up. I like the truck but since I picked up some work at a local college I can't chance having it keep going down on me. I am going to look at a couple of F-450's, with a reliable 7.3 in them, this week.

Rock Boat;1027679 said:
i have a 2000 f-350with a 7.3 in it and i get 400 miles around town and on the highway i get almost 800 mile to a tank now that is because of the gearing in the rears it is alittle sluggish and i have a 2006 f-550 dump with a 6.0 in it and 4.56 gears and it lucky to get 200 miles out of a tank around town or on the highway
So I guess the dump I just bought with 4.88's wont be a fuel sipper? Damn I'll have to return it,lol.

ultimate plow;1033892 said:
Well once I have enough money saved up, Im buying a EGR delete. ARP headstuds in the future. Also you can beef up the hpop with better parts??? Iv also been reading the DIY EGR delete. Besides, I could not drive a dodge!!!! If it has a cummins well, its a brick of gold wrapped in crap. Its the internet, you will always hear of the bad things that happen to these trucks. Not the good ones that are out driving everyday with no problems.
Thats pretty funny.

The ambulance (6.0) I drove at work popped it's heads and injectors at 158K. It spent a month at a Ford Dealership. I took a day shift so I am back to an 03 - 7.3 PSD. It has 213K on it and it runs like a top. I get the next new one that comes in. I can't wait to see how the new PSD runs!

I don't believe Ford is going to put the new 6.7L diesel into the E-series because they can't get it to fit because of all the emissions crap. The V10 gasser is gonna be the only option for an ambulance soon, unless it is built on a truck chassis

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.