02 Sierra 2500 lighting suggestions

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by Njevergreen, Nov 8, 2019.

1. Njevergreen

Njevergreen Member

First time plowing with this truck. Bought it used this year. Came with a Curtis plow. I’m lacking on overall lighting. I want to be able to see what I’m plowing as well as have others see me out there in the storm. Any recommendations? I’ll be doing only residential.
    Thanks,
    Rich

2. Brndnstffrd

Brndnstffrd Senior Member
    from CT

Are you looking for just driving/work type of lighting or like strobe/warning type of lighting too?

3. OP
    OP
    Njevergreen

Njevergreen Member

Both. Mainly to light my front and back.

4. Brndnstffrd

Brndnstffrd Senior Member
    from CT

I don't have any pictures to post at the moment but I can try to get some when I remember. I have a 2003 GMC so its very similar.

What im currently running are amber/white Feniex Cannons in place of the factory reverse lights, and some cheap amazon lights under the bumper that I will add links for later. Plenty of light for backing up and as warning lights. The cannons have 2 or 3 modes depending on which you get so you can use one mode as steady white for backup and another mode for strobe. The cannons alone are much brighter than the factory reverse lights, and with the extra lights below the bumper its even brighter. The visibility from the side could be better as far as warning, but they are in the backup lights so I didn't expect much, but it does work, and id also rather pay more attention to where im backing than rely on lights to warn people since around here they don't even notice a firetruck. I also have some Tir3 (Feniex calls them Con3) style lights that im adding to the rear when i get around to it.

I also have a dashlight mounted to the right above the rearview mirror that i run when pulling out onto a street with traffic but leave off 90% of the time. I do have a fullsize whelen liberty but just never got around to putting it on the truck, and its my daily driver so I don't need it on there 24/7. Ive found that front warning lighting isn't needed as much as rear. For extra driving lights to the front I would say just get some cheap led pods or a small led bar and put them/it between the headlights on the snowplow. If you don't want extra wires to plug and unplug from the truck you could either wire them to a relay off the highbeam circuit on the plow since most don't draw much or there are keyfob remotes for controlling lights and tap power off the positive and ground on the plow. I don't recommend running them like the normal headlights since you wont want lights that bright on when you are driving down the street with oncoming traffic.

5. Drock78

Drock78 Senior Member

Mount cheap led lightbar between plow lights. Mini light strobe on top. Hitch bracket for led pods off Ebay and wire to 7 way llug

Brndnstffrd likes this.
  6. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite Fanatic

Curtis just used the standard Trucklite headlamps, not very bright. You can change the headlamps over to whatever you want, and as suggested install extra front and rear lighting. I would at least put an Amber magnet mount strobe on the roof. You are only limited to what you want to spend.

7. cwren2472

cwren2472 PlowSite Fanatic

Where can I find one of those?

8. Drock78

Drock78 Senior Member

Yard sale

cwren2472 likes this.
  9. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite Fanatic

They are on sale, 50 percent off at Horrible Freight, the 5th Tuesday in February.

m_ice and cwren2472 like this.
  10. cwren2472

cwren2472 PlowSite Fanatic

Do I get a free led flashlight when I buy one?

11. OP
    OP
    Njevergreen

Njevergreen Member

Yea the stock Curtis headlights are about as good as holding a candle lit at the front of the truck. That’s not a bad idea to swap them out for a different set and wire them. My local plow supply has a light bar for about $180 bucks I may get.
    Anyone have any experience with reverse pro? It mounts inside of your hitch and lights the rear. Can’t find many reviews. There’s also another brand called backup buddy

12. Drock78

Drock78 Senior Member