• How has the weather been in your neck of the woods?
    We are looking for feedback from our membership to see how/what the weather has been like in your area. Please Click here to take our Winter Weather Survey, we would appreciate it.

00 TJ Sahara needs a drivetrain upgrade!

theplowmeister

2000 Club Member
The Jeeps with auto trannys came with 3.73, did some one change the gearing?) ITS a Jeep Pushing 6" of snow is going to be tough.
2) if its just sitting there and Groening it IS the tranny slipping or the tires. NOthing else can slipp.
are you in low range? That would help a LOT.
Could need a tranny rebuild $1000. (those 3 speed tranys are cheep to rebuild
3) your NOT going to be able to push a pile back.
I make ramps with the snow. Just like you see bulldozers doing with dirt.

Yes YOU HAVE to have BOTH the front and read gears the same. else the rear will be going 25 MPH and the front will try to go 28 MPH (that is until something SNAPS mot likely the differential)

OP
I

info4tim

With my Jeep with the 4.0
I Use 1st gear .high range
My first post outlined the issue.

use the pile to slow you down with the brakes as you run into the pile. lift the blade and manke a small ramp to stack the snow

All done with “regular gearing “
I domt see a reason to regear at this point.
Well, plowing with an auto in 1st gear is just asking for trans. problems! Wow.
Re-gearing will give me much more low-end torque in both 4HI & LO.

OP
I

info4tim

The Jeeps with auto trannys came with 3.73, did some one change the gearing?) ITS a Jeep Pushing 6" of snow is going to be tough.
2) if its just sitting there and Groening it IS the tranny slipping or the tires. NOthing else can slipp.
are you in low range? That would help a LOT.
Could need a tranny rebuild $1000. (those 3 speed tranys are cheep to rebuild
3) your NOT going to be able to push a pile back.
I make ramps with the snow. Just like you see bulldozers doing with dirt.

Yes YOU HAVE to have BOTH the front and read gears the same. else the rear will be going 25 MPH and the front will try to go 28 MPH (that is until something SNAPS mot likely the differential)
Nope. 307 in my 00 Sahara. Just scheduled a complete (front n rear) regear to 411. Also, just installed a SuperPAQ tuner. Just got back from plowing another 10" storm. Def a diff in pushing and stacking now! Well worth it!

The groaning was before, at the pile trying to push up pile. Just an even slow push on gas.. There was no tire spinning Or transmission slippage. Just a groaning from engine saying I just ain't got the power here. Like I said, Trans was rebuilt couple yrs ago along with torq converter. Screens n fluid chged every yr. Nope, not the Trans either. Can't wait for next yr with the 411s!