Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Decided to retire from plowing after 42 years. Traded my ’15 GMC 2500HD on a new GMC 1500. If the volt gauge is to be believed I think there might be an issue. After driving the truck for a while the voltage gauge goes from what appears to 14 volts down to about 12 volts. Took a two hour ride this morning and when I arrived at my destination I popped hood and put my multi meter on the battery. Running it was charging at 12.8 volts. Doesn’t sound right to me. Plus in the few short weeks I’ve had it, the screen on the dash blanks out and the radio etc shuts off. Just like the “blank out” issue I had on my 2500 when plowing.
Any ideas? Obviously I’m going back to the dealer at some point but thought I would reach out here.

·
Registered
14,328 Posts
Not to be a smart ass but I think you just found the reason why the previous owner traded it in.

I’m a little on the old school side I’d be looking at the alternator, voltage regulator thingies,
then for a bad or shorting cell in the battery.

And then I’d follow the leads off the alternator to make sure none of them are chafing.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Decided to retire from plowing after 42 years. Traded my ’15 2500HD on a new 1500. If the volt gauge is to be believed I think there might be an issue. After driving the truck for a while the voltage gauge goes from what appears to 14 volts down to about 12 volts. Took a two hour ride this morning and when I arrived at my destination I popped hood and put my multi meter of the battery. Running it was charging at 12.8 volts. Doesn’t sound right to me. Plus in the few short weeks I’ve had it, the screen on the dash blanks out and the radio etc shuts off. Just like the “blank out” issue I had on my 2500 when plowing.
Any ideas? Obviously I’m going back to the dealer at some point but thought I would reach out here.
The voltage on chevies varies due to energy saving features. They’ve been doing that since 2004 on the 5.3 and eventually on all the gas LS motors.
Screens issue I dunno but probably check on the battery or alternator.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not to be a smart ass but I think you just found the reason why the previous owner traded it in.

I’m a little on the old school side I’d be looking at the alternator, voltage regulator thingies,
then for a bad or shorting cell in the battery.

And then I’d follow the leads off the alternator to make sure none of them are chafing.
This is a brand new truck…with 1000 miles on it….

·
Registered
956 Posts
Decided to retire from plowing after 42 years. Traded my ’15 2500HD on a new 1500. If the volt gauge is to be believed I think there might be an issue. After driving the truck for a while the voltage gauge goes from what appears to 14 volts down to about 12 volts. Took a two hour ride this morning and when I arrived at my destination I popped hood and put my multi meter on the battery. Running it was charging at 12.8 volts. Doesn’t sound right to me. Plus in the few short weeks I’ve had it, the screen on the dash blanks out and the radio etc shuts off. Just like the “blank out” issue I had on my 2500 when plowing.

This is normal. The charging system is BCM and ECM controlled. The charging system is entirely on demand. It can increase output and decrease based on loads and for fuel economy (highway cruising). It was the same way on your 2015 HD and has been like this for about 20 years now.

As for the radio blanking out, its different, assuming you don't have a plow on this truck. If so its a radio issue either hardware or software.

Also. Is your truck a 2022 refresh or 2022 old style? What engine?

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is normal. The charging system is BCM and ECM controlled. The charging system is entirely on demand. It can increase output and decrease based on loads and for fuel economy (highway cruising). It was the same way on your 2015 HD and has been like this for about 20 years now.

As for the radio blanking out, its different, assuming you don't have a plow on this truck. If so its a radio issue either hardware or software.

Also. Is your truck a 2022 refresh or 2022 old style? What engine?
My 2015 definitely didn’t do this with the voltage gauge. I’ve never seen a charging system that was functioning properly sit at 12 volts when the vehicle is running. I have no idea whether it is a refresh or old style. Engine is 6.2

·
Registered
956 Posts
My 2015 definitely didn’t do this with the voltage gauge. I’ve never seen a charging system that was functioning properly sit at 12 volts when the vehicle is running. I have no idea whether it is a refresh or old style. Engine is 6.2

I'd put money on that it did. I had a 2015 HD.

You own the truck but don't know if its a 2022 that looks like a 2021 or if its the refresh with the new front and big radio screen?

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'd put money on that it did. I had a 2015 HD.

You own the truck but don't know if its a 2022 that looks like a 2021 or if its the refresh with the new front and big radio screen?
The truck is a GMC. I don’t believe there was a refresh on the front end from 2021 to 2022.

·
Registered
956 Posts
The truck is a GMC. I don’t believe there was a refresh on the front end from 2021 to 2022.

2022 GM has 2 versions of 2022 truck. There is not only cosmetic differences up front, but the SLE and higher interiors are all new with all new radios and screens and an all new vehicle electrical/communications platform.

2022 LTD/Limited which are carryover 2021 look:

Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Car Vehicle

And then the 2022 refresh trucks which look like this:

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Registered
956 Posts
So, coming from his 2015:

He is supposed to be able to automatically tell which of these is a "refresh"?

Why exactly?

It was the middle one

You can't read. OP has a 2022 GMC 1500 now. GM has 2 versions of Silverado/Sierra for 2022. There is the LTD/Limited 2022s which are carryover 2021 trucks, and then there is the 2022 refresh or 2022.5 truck which get new front ends, all new electrical/communications platform and mid trims and higher have all new dashboards, radios and radio screens. All you've done is post pictures of two totally different generations of trucks, the K2 2014-2018, and T1 2019-current.

Coming from a 2015 to a 2022 its quite obvious that his new truck is no refresh of the 2015, but his radio issue with the screen blanking out its important he knows if its a 2022 carryover or a 2022 refresh as it can make a big difference in the cause of his radio issue.

·
Premium Member
15,191 Posts
Coming from a 2015 to a 2022 its quite obvious that his new truck is no refresh of the 2015, but his radio issue with the screen blanking out its important he knows if its a 2022 carryover or a 2022 refresh as it can make a big difference in the cause of his radio issue.
Your point was that the OP should obviously know if his truck is a 2022 refresh because, well, he just should. Since his old 2015 truck looks nothing like either of the two you posted, why would he be expected to know which of those 2 his new truck was?

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
2022 GM has 2 versions of 2022 truck. There is not only cosmetic differences up front, but the SLE and higher interiors are all new with all new radios and screens and an all new vehicle electrical/communications platform.

2022 LTD/Limited which are carryover 2021 look:

View attachment 255869

And then the 2022 refresh trucks which look like this:

View attachment 255870
Mine is a carryover then. ‘22 GMC 1500 Limited SLT.
Another issue is they make these trucks without several chips. Still waiting to hear when GM will be getting them. The date keeps getting pushed out…

1 - 16 of 16 Posts