1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ZTR mower or ATV for plowing

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by workingirl, Jan 3, 2009.

1. workingirl

workingirl Junior Member

Hello everyone!
    I dont know if I should put a snow plow on my ZTR or if I should buy a 4 wheeler and get a plow for it. I have several mowing accounts with a local bank branch and could charge almost anything to do their sidewalks when we actually get snow.
    I found two companies that have them for both ZTR snow plows and ATV snow plows but I dont know which to use or what to put one on.
    Please clue me in!
  2. tawilson

tawilson Senior Member

Sounds like a good excuse to buy a 4 wheeler. Or you might want to consider a walk behind snowblower.
  3. dunlaps lawncare

dunlaps lawncare Senior Member

get a 4 wheeler
  4. beerman6

beerman6 Junior Member

I wouldnt want to replace a trans on a ZTR.$$$$
  5. naturalgreen

naturalgreen Senior Member

I use a gator love the thing deere makes a great wide plow for the thing and you can get a cab and be indoors
  6. naturalgreen

naturalgreen Senior Member

ztr will explode and most plows for 4 wheelers are truly not commercial so you need to spend alot on a good plow for the 4 wheeler.
    plus the weight is not distributed for pushing
  7. hondarecon4435

hondarecon4435 Senior Member

get an atv

FOX-SNO-REMOVAL Senior Member

I also think you should get a quad its the perfect opportunity and trust me there a lot more fun than the ZRT, not to mention you can trail ride it all summer long. Personaly I would go with either a Honda or an Arctic Cat. Just my input.
  9. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

I seen someone locally around here with a snowblower on a ztr and it looked like it was going good.
  10. Chiefmorton

Chiefmorton Member

Polaris Ranger, then you can get a cab and a heater, mini truck.
  11. workingirl

workingirl Junior Member

Thanks for the input!
    I started pricing things out and a used quad would cost $3000.00 and a plow lift package is $850.00 which is alot of money to have invested if I only use it a couple times a year. The guy at Mibar said the plow and hydraulic lift for my ZTR would be about $800.00 and I would also get a free set of tire chains with my order. I asked the dealer who I got my Snapper from and he said the hydrastatic drive wouldnt be affected and since it's still under warranty thru him I dont think he's lying.
    I like the snow blower idea since those are about $800.00 but I know they go very slow and I havent seen one that looks comfortable to ride on.
    Im going to check on pricing for a UTV/mini truck, they look really fun but I'm sure super expensive.
  12. Chiefmorton

Chiefmorton Member

You might check ebay too, I've saw some pretty good deals on some nice used Polaris Rangers and some with plows.
  13. grasskeepers

grasskeepers Member

i love my ztr with my plow on it its much better in tight areas. and in my city anyone using a atv in city limits faces a $10 000 fine and the atv taken away till after you talk to a judge
  14. sublime68charge

sublime68charge PlowSite.com Addict

Really, is there more of a back story to this,
    It would be the first I have heard of such an ordeal.
    so you can't even you your ATV on your own land for snow removal?

glad I don't live there.

sublime out.

and Go with the ATV and Plow.
    Unless your ZTR is under a warranty and if it breaks you can get it fixed per the warranty.
    IF your ZTR is alway's going to be under warranty then you could go that route but I would not want to have to pay to FIX it if its' broken. Also how much you have invested in your ZTR and need it for mowing lawns?
    Invest in an ATV and save the ZTR for what you got it for.
    an ATV will take alot of abuse.
    just my thoughts.
  15. workingirl

workingirl Junior Member

A city that imposes fines for using an ATV is CRAZY! During a snow emergency here you can drive snowmobiles, ATV's or anyting else that will get threw, right down the road. I was thinking that with my ZTR I could get in even tighter than an ATV and be able to turn around on a dime instead of the back and forth motion on a ATV, like "grasskeepers" mentioned.
    I think that with the 27hp and tire chains on the posi drive wheels I wont have any problems pushing snow. I like the Mibar system since I do have to go up alot of curbs to get to the sitting areas and around the bus stops. No one could tell me how high the Snowsport would be off the ground when transporting to even see if I could get up a curb letalone up my trailer. I know I could go up my trailer backwards but going down it the plow will hit first and probably stop me dead (pretty steep).
  16. beerman6

beerman6 Junior Member

couldnt you spin around and back off the trailer?

I think it would be great to plow with a ZTR,I'm afraid there would be too much of a load on the hydro's.
  17. workingirl

workingirl Junior Member

I did think of that and even measured for it but there isnt enough room in my enclosed trailer to spin around.
  18. Oshkosh1990

Oshkosh1990 Junior Member

19. grasskeepers

grasskeepers Member

i didn't order a snowsport because it doesn't raise up, and theres no way it would go in a enclosed, my blade goes up and and it still hits the door sometimes. the blade i have i got at canadian tire for 350 and go a bracet made for 100,
  20. green814

green814 Junior Member
    from Mi

I have been looking into a plow for my Toro Z-Master as well. I was told that the Toro's are tuned very lean to maximize fuel efficiency in the summer and that winter use would cause the motor to burn up. Has anyone else heard of such a thing?

I have been looking at the Tuck City Splow from Rocky Mountian ATV. It looks very well built from the pics Chiefmorton has posted in his "Ranger's Ready Now" thread. Only thing is, I would have to build a mount for it. Doesn't seem like it would be to bad to build though. And add the 2500lb winch from Harbor freight as this plow is a "winch only" setup for the lift.