1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ZR2 S-10 with Snoway plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by LawnCrafters, Nov 25, 2003.

1. LawnCrafters

LawnCrafters Junior Member

I've read alot of threads about whether or not you can put a plow on a ZR2 model S-10. So I thought I'd post a few pics of the Snoway I just had installed on my '97 ZR2.
    I bought this truck specificly for plowing small residential driveways. I decided on the Snoway because of it's light weight, especially without the light kit, and the downpressure feature for backdragging away form garage doors. I'm also going to put a urethane edge on it.
    There is no mounting kit specificly for the ZR2 option, but the only thing that had to be done to a regular S-10 kit was cutting two pieces of 2" square tube to use as spacers on the front mounting points.
    If anyone wants to see that close up, let me know and I'll take some pics.

2. LawnCrafters

Sorry, it's a little dark.
    Sags a bit when up so I'm gonna put some timbrens on it.

3. LawnCrafters

4. sbrennan007

sbrennan007 Senior Member

:confused: I don't understand what makes the ZR2 so different that they don't suggest putting a plow on it? :confused:
  5. sbrennan007

sbrennan007 Senior Member

Looks good on your truck! payup
  6. LawnCrafters

It's not that they don't reconmend plowing with it. The ZR2 frame is slightly different than a "regular" 4x4 S-10. The spring hangers are lower in order to lift it 2". When you bolt the back of a standard S-10 mounting frame up there's about a 2" gap between the truck frame and the front mounting points of the plow frame. So you need to make a spacer to fill this gap.
    I bought my ZR2 truck because it thought it would be better for plowing than a standard S-10 because of it's heavier duty suspension, higher ground clearance and higher output engine.
  7. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

There are several different suspensions for the S-10's. The Off-Road suspension package is the recommended package. The ZR-2 actually has a lower payload than the Off Road versions, perhaps due to additional extras on the ZR-2 suspensions. Nice looking truck...!
  8. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

Also, the suspension is a bit softer than normal. It makes for better off-camber driving. They don't want you to put a plow on it because the spring rate is too soft for a plow. I don't think the frame is any different. Just throw the Timbren band-aid on it and you will be golden.
  9. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

the truck and plow look good. you should think about the light kit though even if it adds wieght:)
  10. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

I just put the same plow on my 96 Toy 4Runner.....I look forward to using it...

I didn't get the light kit either.....maybe next year.....

Dealer said most of the Snoways he sells are with out the lights....

11. 99zr2

99zr2 Senior Member

I have a 99 zr2 that i put a fisher homestader on. I was just wondering how mutch that set up weights? the fisher weighs 250 for the set up i got and that is with lights and everything.

Plow Mister

As far as i know there is nothing different about the spring rates to make the zr2 softer than a normal s-10. They say the load rating is less on it because of the bigger tires that add more weight to the truck. I also take my truck off- road alot and let me tell you the ifs setup sucks for off-road use even if for some reason they had lower spring rates that wouldent help. Really I was going to put a straight axle in my truck be for I got the plow. Thats the way to go.
    Form what I heard from a western dealler the reason they dont want you to put a plow on a small vehical like a s-10 is becaues of gross front axle weight and the fact that if you put a ballast in in it you could go over the vehicals gvw, and they were affraid that it would cause accidents.
  12. Cobol Dude

Cobol Dude Junior Member

I don't see the front end sagging in the picture with the plow up?
  13. easthavenplower

easthavenplower Senior Member

what are you blind
  14. phoenix827

phoenix827 Member

actually, I don't either. looks more like the REAR is raised to me.
    But I wear glasses and KNOW I need new ones! lol:D
  15. LawnCrafters

99zr2- my info says it weighs 299 lbs

I wasn't sure about not getting the light kit either. But my dealer said the same thing about not putting them on very often. I figured I'd try it without to save the weight and money and if I don't like it I can add the lights anytime. I took it out once at night to see how well the lights work through the blade and I could see just fine.
  16. hey lawncrafters--where in detroit u live?
  17. 99zr2

99zr2 Senior Member

299 without the lights sounds like it might work alittle better than mine. Iam sure that the light kit wont add to mutch more weight and probably be a helpful add on.

I dont know about your truck but the headlights on mine are not really that great in my opinion by them selves.

Well if they work for you than cool but I my self would add the light kit.

checkout the pics of my truck in the pics page.

Josh 99zr2
  18. vector6

vector6 Senior Member

those trucks are high in the azz anyway..
  19. phoenix827

phoenix827 Member

True, but it looks like the rear came up a LOT more then the ft dropped.
  20. LawnCrafters

Yeah I guess the back did raise a little. But there isn't any weight in there right now (other than the snowblower).
    I was thinking of putting on a set of cool blue or super white type headlights in, they're alot brighter than stock. I have also seen a kit that converts the sealed beams to a replaceable halogen type. That might be worth looking into.

lownrangr - I'm in Royal Oak