1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ZR2/highrider plow? can i make it work?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by motorider000, Feb 5, 2005.

1. motorider000

motorider000 Senior Member

I have a 1999 sonoma highrider (just like zr2 s-10) I own a landscaping company and want to get into plowing next season. I am planning on doing some local additions. I plan on getting a 3/4 ton to be my main plow truck. But I need a back up and i don't think that i will be able to afford to trade the sonoma for a second 3/4 ton. I was wondering if this truck would work as a backup for me. Also most plow manufacturers say that they don;t make plows for this truck. I have seen some on this website, mostly the fisher ld. The nearest fisher dealership to me is 2 hours away. Do i have any other options?
  2. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

you can put a fisher ld or a meyers 7.0 ft on it
  3. j&j properties

j&j properties Junior Member

For some reason Chevy and GMC highly recommend against putting a plow on those models of trucks...of course they don't recommend that you put a plow on any of their trucks unless is has the plow prep package!

I'm not sure but I think I read somewhere that skid plates of different suspension don't "allow" for a plow to be mounted?

Good luck in your search and let us know if/what you find because I too am interested in S-10 ZR-2 as a backup plow.
  4. PlowMan03

PlowMan03 Senior Member
    from Maine

I wouldn't put a plow on a ZR2 anyway. They can't take the load of the plow plus it would kill there front ends.
  5. sun&snow

sun&snow Junior Member
    from midwest

I had a snoway on my ZR2 for 3 years before I sold the truck. Worked great! Plowed like a mutha. I put the plow on my wifes trailblazer for a year and it worked their too. I just sold the plow to a guy on this board.

The only thing about the ZR2 is that the front of the frame rolls up and you have to make some custom brackets for the mount. I don;t know why they would make a frame for the regular S10 and one for the ZR2
  6. ronsracing

ronsracing Member
    from CT

I have a fisher ld on my 2003 zr2. This is my second season with it. The truck handles the plow great with no problems.
  7. motorider000

motorider000 Senior Member

How hard are the brackets to make? Where do I get the dimensions? Will a dealer do the work for me? Also what kind and width of sno way did you have on your zr2?
  8. corkireland

corkireland Senior Member

I have the exact same truck. a 99 GMC High Rider. I went with a 6'8" snoway Mt. I added Timbrens and the truck plows very well. Snoway makes the mount and will install and warrent it on the truck. I have the Lexan moldboard but the weight difference between the Lexan and Steel is small. I have downpressure on it and that helps alot for backdraggin the residentials I do. Overall I do 33 residentials, 1 commerical(my father's parking lot), and a hand full of family farm accounts every other event. Make sure you use have some ballast as that really helps out on a lighter vehicle such as ours. :salute: goodluck