1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

zr2 front end humms

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by plowinzr2, Dec 27, 2006.

1. plowinzr2

plowinzr2 Senior Member

ive got an 03 zr2 and im noticing when its cold out the fornt end makes a humming noise ive already done the wheel bearings. any other ideas or is it normal

2. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

CV joints? Brakes? Could also just be the tires, you may try rotating them. Hope I helped!

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Possibly front tire's like PLM said but also be sure to check the fluid level in your front diff if it hasn't be checked for a while. The S-10's have a bad habit of the gear oil in the front diff disappearing over a long period of time.

4. plowinzr2

plowinzr2 Senior Member

yea i tried changing the differential fluid and ive rotated the tires

5. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

You've got me. Was the fluid burnt smelling, low or anything?

6. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

Does the hum go away or get louder while in a left or right turn???

7. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that would indicate a wheel bearing, no? He did say he redid the bearings. I guess it could be the axle nut not tightened to spec.

8. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

Yes a change in the hun would point me to a def bearing. It is nessary to torque the axle nut, If you dont the bearing can and does fail very quickly. Also we have found the cheaper bearings can fail in a short time. I dont know if this is his prob but its a good place to start...Rob

9. plowinzr2

plowinzr2 Senior Member

i had the bearings done so id assume they would tighten it to spec, as for the hum going away or louder when it turns it doesnt matter it stays as loud left or right, it also doesnt change from 2 wheel to 4 wheel. i hope its nothin serious im broke til we get some snow if we ever do

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Here's an easy test to help you further diagnose this problem,reach under the truck and see if you can spin the front drive shaft. Make sure it's in 2WD first. If it wont turn in 2WD then your front axle disconnect is stuck in the "engaged" position. When this happen's everything in the front drive train continue's to turn while the truck is moving,even though your in 2WD.That can give you a noise. I've seen it happen on a few of these truck's.

11. plowinzr2

plowinzr2 Senior Member

she spins freely

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

How long has it been since you had the wheel bearing's done? If it's been a while have you checked them for play lately?

13. plowinzr2

plowinzr2 Senior Member

i did the wheel bearings about a month ago

14. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

are you sure its the front end and not transfer case or power steering pump ?

15. 1lowGMC

1lowGMC Member

My right side on my s-10 started humming recently, but I suspect a wheel bearing. I know you said you just had your done. But if the nut is not tightened to the right spec, which is really really high for some reason, the bearing can fail very quickly. Also it is worth the money to purchase the more expensive bearing. I bought the $130 one and had to replace it 6 months later. I can't wait till mine is paid off, cause I am doing a solid front axle swap faster than you can say, independent front suspension blows!