1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ZR2 died

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by blazer2plower, Nov 25, 2011.

1. blazer2plower

blazer2plower Senior Member

I have a ZR2 and it died on me to day:-( this is what I have dune. 1 new map sensor 2 plugs and wires cap and roter.
    i am going to check the fuel pressure tomorrow moring it runs but verry verry ruff . It is a 4.3 with 198,000 thanks

Dave

2. blazer2plower

I thank I found it I trurned off my hood light and I saw that my coil was arking a nice blue light was comeing from it ill try that befor the pressure I hope it is the problem I dont want to spend all day on a fuel pump. And 400.00 bucks I do love my Z ;-)

3. pontiacmrc1

pontiacmrc1 Junior Member

What year is it? If it's a 1996 and newer, it has the OBDII computer system, and if they check engine light is on, you'll have to scan that first to see what codes are in the computer, and that will give you and indication of why it won't run right...

4. blazer2plower

Sorrt I got it fixed I thank its a 2000 and all it wax saying random miss fire im go to check the fuel pump today

5. pontiacmrc1

Random misfire usually doesn't indicate fuel pump. Can't hurt to check fuel pressure, but normally with a misfire code it's usually either coil, cap, rotor, wires or plugs.

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0300

Hope this helps! Also, if you have taken the distributor out, you have to set the timing using a scan tool with a data display.

6. blazer2plower

Ok will do. I see if one of my customer's will do that in stead of paying for his lot beeing plowed :)

7. adksnowo

adksnowo Senior Member

Misfire code can also mean the crank position sensor or cam position sensor is FUBAR'd.

8. blazer2plower

Nooooo dont tell me that

9. blazer2plower

20 mph to day on the way to work im going to start tomorrow after work on the sensor's 65 for one and 50 for the other im thanking 4jours top's

I love my Z just not now

10. pontiacmrc1

Not usually. If it was a cam or crank sensor, it wouldn't run at all.

11. blazer2plower

Its been a bad day for me my Z will only start with starting fluid and she runs so bad it took a 1/2 a tank of gas to go 20 miles and she dies when I stop and I need to give her a shot of fluid this sucks it's snowing out and I get ready ;-( any thoughts befor I do the sensor's tomorrow at work thanks.

I love my Z just not now

12. the_experience

the_experience Member

The CPI Chevy motors were good for injector problems. They use a centralized injector that then has tubes that lead to poppet valves at the ports that open when the pressure gets high enough. Fuel pressure that is even 2 psi below specification will cause them to misfire as the poppets will behave erratically without sufficient pressure. The poppets can also stick open. You will see this as pools of fuel in the lower intake. This would explain your terrible mileage as well. Check the supply and return lines to the injector assembly as well because these wear through and crack or at least did on the earlier models. Your 2000 might be free from this problem. Finally, pull the fuel pressure regulator vacuum line and look for it to be full of fuel. That will cause a lack of fuel pressure (remember those sensitive poppets?) and will cause the engine to suck the raw gas.

Of course all of this requires that you pull the upper plastic plenum, but it's really not a big job to do.

13. blazer2plower

Thanks for the info. Ill check it all to day when I get to work.

I love my Z just not now

14. blazer2plower

Ok I put new cam and crank sensor's in new plugs and wires. Map sensor unpluged the rear o2 sensor. She runs great. For the first.
    10-30 min and then will die and run ruff I am going to look at a vacuum leek. I did spry carb cleaner on the lines. I did not get any.
    of the sines of a leek. I am all so going to look at the fuel lines to night. Thanks for the help.

I do love my Z just not now

15. the_experience

the_experience Member

The ignition components were a good idea as the GM vehicles with the flat caps are particularly sensitive to corrosion and crossfiring. I'll be honest, I wouldn't have done the sensors yet, but that's just me. A worn timing set or distributor is more likely to cause random misfires than a bad sensor as sensors typically just fail, aside from RFI interference, but that's not your problem here. Also, the rear oxygen sensors (should be 4 on this vehicle) will not affect driveability as they are used for catalyst efficiency monitoring only.

I still think you probably need to remove the upper plenum and have a look. :mechanic:

16. blazer2plower

Im droping It off on sunday for one of my clients to look at and hook up to his teck2 he said ot will tell me what is wrong with it. Thanks for the help guys

I love my Z just not now

17. blazer2plower

Well it was the fuel pump. And the brake booster. 1200.oo for a new OEM fuel pump. I had a all most new booster for them to put in.
    i would have did my self but time todo it I did not have. Thanks for all the help guys and he ******** the timing for me. For the new sensors I put in. I just wanted to say thanks for all the help.

I soon will love my Z