1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Zmax in engine oil & gas

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Firemanfive0, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Firemanfive0

Firemanfive0 Member
    from Midwest

This thread came from the conventional vs. synthetic oil discussion and rather than hijack that thread I'll start this one.

What do you guys think of Zmax & who uses it? Is it beneficial or is it just taking our money?

2. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

scam like most other oil additives that claim what it does. But that's just my thoughts.
    We tried that car wax the defeats a laser beam (which was a scam because a white car would never be affected by a green laser anyway)/
    If you want to add something that works in dino oil, add Marvell. I know plenty of old school mechanics who swear by it. I flatly refuse to add anything to synthetic oil.

3. Mike N

Mike N Senior Member

Big +1 to that.

4. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

run Amsoil and forget about it. i have been running it in my 4wheelers,trucks,boats,race car and every other application and it has proven to be great.. i run all their products all the time.

not affiliated just a happy customer. i think they are the ones that invented synthetic.. plus anyone can buy it at the same price as the dealer right from there website

5. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

Zmax only works if you also have a tornado fuel saver. Remember that piece of stainless steel that caused a tornado in the intake air. Total waste of money, I'm just mad I didn't come up with it and get rich

6. GPS

GPS Senior Member
    from MA

But, gee guys, Carrol Shelby endorses it, so it must be good stuff. He wouldn't be saying that just for the money, right?? LOL http://www.zmax.com/

Oh, wait, I guess it is snake oil. http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2001/02/zmax1.shtm If you read the article, you'll see where it actually increases bearing corrosion.

Who would have guessed? :rolleyes:

7. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

You have to be realistic about these additives and other crap...an engine that gotten regular oil changes with dino oil is typically still pretty good after a couple hundred thousand miles if not abused. Switch to synthetic and continue a good maintenance cycle and you get another hundred thousand or so. How the heck much do you want to get out of your motor? There are plenty of poeple out there who do actualyl run their vehicles for hundreds of thousands of miles, true enough...but most people will not keep a vehicle longer than it takes to put 100-150 thousand on the ododmeter. By then they're tired of the vehicle...good shapre of not.

Just the switch from dino to synthetic is pushing the point of diminishing returns from my perspective. If you get virtually no significant wear on your motor with dino oil, and you cut that wear by 50-75% by switching to synthetic...where does that leave you? For all intents and purposes it leaves you in the exact same place...half of zero is still zero.

8. Firemanfive0

Firemanfive0 Member
    from Midwest

I have to agree with all you guys. The switch to synthetic is a must on high milers. We tend to "abuse" our trucks with the plows and the demands we put on them. Good regular service cannot be replaced by anything ( my Dad taught me that one).

9. Mike N

Mike N Senior Member

I disagree. I had 373,000 miles on my 84 Chevy K10 and it never saw a drop of synthetic. The day before that thing went to the boneyard I pulled the oil pan off to inspect some bearings, out of curiousity. They were dated 8-83 on the back and all were a nice gray color- showing little to no wear. That engine ran like a top when it left, too bad the rest of the truck rotted out right around it.

10. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

I feel validated now.

11. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

If it's got an infomercial on at 3 a.m. my guess is it's not going to work even with carol shelby. The best one was where they "ran a car without oil for 50 miles"

12. Mike N

Mike N Senior Member

The best infomercial was for duralube, where they ran a Chrysler slant six without oil, and then the fire department showed up to soak the running engine with a firehose. Duh, slant sixes (otherwise known as "the leaning tower of power") were designed to run without oil, and the firehose only helped to cool it off and keep it running.

But hey, Mario Andretti was sitting in the front row so it must be good.

13. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

And adding Marvel for a few minutes before draining the oil added to the safety net.

14. MBB

MBB Senior Member

I have been told that Royal Purple, Orginally from Great Britain, was the first synthetic. I have been useing Mobile 1 just because AS and RP are around $9/ qt vs $6.+ for M1.

15. daninline

daninline Senior Member

I would not do this the synthetic oil will clean that motor right out and maybe clog stuff up and clean the varnish off the seals.. can you say oil leaks.

I have a 1996 Jeep with about 400,000 miles on it, I have never even cracked open the valve covers I have changed the water pump a few times but that's it on the motor.

2 years ago I took it to the track and it ran 16.4 in the 1/4 mile.

Also don't use diesel oil on a old motor it will also clean the motor up and clog the oil filter up.... I found out on this same jeep and it still running :)